Administrator mode

Leo, I’ve noticed that after every update Voyager resorts to running in Admin mode. I have an A-P Mach1GTO, and when V is in Admin mode, it opens a second copy of the A-P driver. Ray Gralak, author of APCC (I also run that) has posted that APCC should not be run in Admin mode, but I’ve also been told to do that as well. All of this leads up to my first-light problems with autofocus on Friday.

I have an Optec on my SVQ100 SV3B focuser and couldn’t get the v-curve first light wizard to focus. Voyager was communicating, as I could watch the star change focus, but it never made it to completion and threw an error, which then locked up Voyager enough to require a reboot. Without rebooting Voyager would not reconnect to my mount.

I’ve calibrated my step size three times with the following results:

First time: 1.1406 μm per step
Second and third time: 1.1415 μm per step

The focuser has 32,765 steps, however the default in the Robofire Configuration Center window has the IN and OUT limits set at 0 and 65,000 respectively. I did not have the OUT set at 32,765 in that window. Might that have been the problem? Thanks for your time in answering.

Eric

Dear Eric,

first of all … Voyager work only in admin mode … because is a system integrator need to use high level of trusting in OS to do some task. You cannot use Voyager in a different way or Could not work.

All the applications can run in admin is only your choice also the AP application. I own and use an Mach1 mount and i dont have problem. I dont use APCC because i dont need it. others users have APCC working fine. Start Voyager like first application and leave Voyager open all for you.

For how is developed Voyager … Voyager cannot lock up or hang up or crash … this mean something else so bad do this. Usually are the external drivers that lock calls to OS. When you wrote me i see communication problem in your focuser driver, have you solved ?

What the error during first light wizard ? Is the same of friday in internal driver ?

The parameters you report are not the ones calculated from Voyager, Voyager calculate slope and PID. I dont understand what is for you the number you put. Slope is an angular coefficent expressed in HFD for step, PID is just a number of step.

Limits are limits of focuser, if you put a number greater that the real steps allowed for your focuser you are simple doesn’t put limit. This is not a problem for VCurve operation.

If you think is a Voyager bug please open ticket using the contact in your license mail.

All the best
LO

Leo, I’ll be changing the permission to Admin to work through this. The numbers I put up were the “microns of travel per motor step” of my focuser’s motor. This needed to be calibrated for proper operation, but has nothing to do with Voyager itself OTHER than Voyager possibly needing the number of steps for the motor’s full range.

Thank you for your reply. I believe what you’ve written will likely solve my problem.

Have a Happy Easter.

Eric

No Eric, Voyager doesn’t need these info.
Happy Easter to you , let me know if you solve.

All the best
LO

I shall do. Weather is looking bad until Saturday, but maybe I’ll see some clear skies before then. Thanks again, Leo.

Eric, now I know why I’m seeing the two drivers! :smiley: I’ll switch APCC to Admin mode and see what happens. Does this apply to all the integrated software - TSX, PHD2, Flip Flat sw etc?

I’m glad you brought this up, Eric. I had been using Voyager in standard user mode and am wondering if that has been causing some of the problems I’ve encountered.

Glenn

Eric,

This is what the PID and slope calculations should look like after running the first light wizard.

I posted this question on the AP Bulletin Board and Ray Gralak replied

Wayne, it is okay for the second driver instance. APCC’s virtual ports are allocated to handle the two instances.

Best is to open Voyager for first and Voyager take care of start all the controls.
Also you can change property for your software to start like admin.
External application that working with socket doesn’t need to be admin like TSX or PHD2, who use COM server like AP yes. If you start all from Voyager … all start like admin for internal user sharing of OS

All the best
LO

You lost some functionalities in Voyager if you do this and in this case i cannot support you.

All the best
LO

Yes, I’ve switched Voyager over to run in Administrator mode.

Glenn

Thanks to all who responded here. Wayne, I appreciate your relay of Ray’s info. I haven’t noticed any other “problems”, but will be switching other programs one at a time over to Admin mode. Initially I’ve switched Voyager, per Leo’s instruction, and APCC, and will go from there.

Again, thanks to all.

Eric

Is not a good way to have 2 instance of the same applicaiton from 2 different user … start Voyager like was installed for first. All the application started from Voyager running in the same user space.

All the best
LO

That is what I plan to do. Thanks again, Leo.

Eric