Black friday sale...Benefits of Array version

I have 2 scopes mounted on my mount. I know the array version will allow me to image through both imaging trains without the need to re-start voyager and switch profiles as I do today with the standard version. I’m reaching out to the community to make sure I understand all of the benefits of the array version? How do you use it? Leo has intrigued me with the 25% sale.

Thanks in advance for your perspective and stay healthy!.

Jim

Hi Jim,
I use it and love it. It lets me double the imaging capacity, which helps considering how crummy the weather is usually where I live. To be clear, it lets you image with multiple scopes at the same time, you open a second instance of Voyager with the secondary profile set there. Then the first instance is the master node, and directs the second instance. It’s pretty seamless.

Gabe

1 Like

Gabe Thanks for the response. I too live in an area where clear skies are infrequent. Are both cameras imaging at the same time or are you doing it in alternating? Is it easy to use dragscript to automate the nights imaging between the two arrays? My scopes have focal lengths of 1630mm and 480mm. I can go deep and wide if need be. What are your imaging trains?

Thanks,
Jim

Yep, both cameras are taking exposures at the same time. You define an array sequence, which allows you to define what filter/exposure/binning, etc. for each camera. In Dragscript, instead of pointing to a normal sequence, you just point to the array sequence, and it takes it from there - very modular.

My imaging trains are somewhat close in fov, a FSQ106 @f/5 and an AP Stowaway @ f/5.3, both with ASI2600MMs. In my opinion, the array system really shines when you have fairly well matched fovs, so you can really double your acquisition on any target. Some targets though might be well suited to a simultaneous wide/narrow fov acquisition, so the array system could also be useful there as well.

Gabe

Jim

Also an Array user here since March 2020. I have two refractors mounted in tandem, with the larger 6” one sampling at 1300mm FL in L and narrowband (1.4”/px) and a smaller 92mm one at 490mm FL (1.6”/px) for colour only (OSC camera). See my setup here: https://www.astrobin.com/zwq72j/G/
Imaging from suburban London I need to maximise my imaging time because of our weather and appalling light pollution. It used to take me weeks if not months to finish a target. With Array, if the weather holds, I can be finished in a matter of days.
No need to mention how reliable and stable Array is; it literally multiplies Voyager’s many achievements.

Roberto

Funny enough, I go the opposite way. I have two scopes but they are very different to each other and while I commonly have them imaging at the same time, they are always imaging different targets.

I use the normal license with two copies on different machines, and my third license on my desktop machine so I can play around with simulators and so on to teach myself more stuff, or bring a camera inside to shoot darks.

Do you have two separate, complete systems (scope+camera+mount)? Or both scopes go onto the same mount, but you have two separate PCs to go with each camera? In any case if you don’t image with them in the same time, you can probably create two profiles in a single copy of Voyager, and just switch?

You bring a thing here: one of my friends has all his 3 copies installed in his operating PCs in the remote observatories, and the network there is sluggish at best… He’s having a hard time drag and modify the DragScript via remote desktop programs; He’s wondering if Voyager is considering giving the DragScript Editor as a stand-alone program, so people like him can edit the DragScript at home, and send it to remote desktop for execution? @Voyager

You can do this @yzhzhang … all of us I think do this.
Personally I cloned my remote profile in my home Voyager and create/modify the dragscript and upload to the remote Voyager using FTP or remote desktop

All the best
Leonardo

I have my three licensed copes on three separate PC’s.

One dedicated to each of my image rigs, an iOptron CEM70G with a 10"F4 newtonian and an ASI2600MC Pro, and the other is an older Orion Atlas with my Stellarvue SVX80T and ASI2600MM on it. The cameras I sometimes move around between telescopes, which caused me some headaches yesterday as I had to move the PC’s (Both Intel Nuc’s) between rigs and create new equipment profiles on both, I need three USB ports with the mono cam on the Orion, but the NUCs are in weather protection enclosures and I only brought two USB ports out on one of them!

The third copy is on my desktop PC just to have something play with and test without upsetting my imaging machines.

Thanks Leo. This guy runs out of the licenses… Apparently he has three systems in different locations and require thee copies to operate in the field, so no more license for home PC…

In this case tell him to reach me by email.
We will found a solution for this.

All the best
Leonardo

About Array:

Congratulations for Astrobin IOTD to Min Xie with this wonderful image of LBN 331 - On the Wavefront

https://www.astrobin.com/5nz0ql/0/