Camera cooler and file discrepancy

I have had some issues with the cooling of my ASI1600MM-cool camera.

1. Sometimes the cooldown cycle times out, or appears to do so, even though the camera has cooled according to the amount of noise on the subframes.
  2. Sometimes the camera status widget shows that the camera cools down to the set point and then the temperature drifts up again, even though the widget shows “cooled.”
  3. There is a discrepancy between the status of the camera widget and the file names (i.e. the widget states “cooled” but the file name says “nocooling”).

Strange, yes? Has anyone else encountered this?

Thanks,

Glenn

Hi Glenn,
I also use an ASI1600MM Cool and I have seen this - but only when the camera was actually not cooling, or if connection to the camera was lost. Leo will have to tell us what triggers the “NoCooling” label in the filename, but I suspect it is something like the driver not responding to a status request. It is odd that the status window reflects a different status though and might be a bug.

Last night at startup I had to unplug and replug my ASI1600MM before the proper status was returned to Voyager, and then it worked fine all night. Maybe ZWO’s latest driver has a problem… I updated recently and have seen this behavior since then. If it repeats maybe we should report to Sam at ZWO.

Cheers,
Rowland

1 Like

Good idea. I was thinking of reverting to the prior driver version to see if the problem goes away. I won’t have a chance to do so until later but will report back with my findings.

Glenn

I think solution to problem is more easy. Looking at code in Voyager i see that Voyager report NoCooling in the file name when the Sequence have “Is Cooling Managed” flag unchecked. This mean you have cooling on in camera but in Voyager Sequence you dont ask to manage it (You start cooling from Voyager command box or from camera control if external).

If there’s an error in cooling you could find UNK text instead.

Please let me know if is true looking at your sequence.

All the best
LO

That’s great to know! I will add to the Wiki – and hopefully next time someone asks, I will remember to check the Wiki first :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Rowland

You are correct, Leo. I do not have the option checked to manage cooling within the sequence. I usually initiate cooling manually or start it from a DragScript.

Is what I am doing not recommended? What would you consider the “best practice “ to be concerning management of cooling?

Thanks,

Glenn

If you not check cooling management in sequence Voyager doesn’t take care of cooling (is stopped or out of range) … best solution is to put cooling managmement on in sequence to have all advantage.

All the best
LO

I’ll do that. Thank you.

Best,

Glenn