First Light Questions

Hello!

So I managed to get outside with Voyager this weekend and on the whole it’s been successful! As expected it did throw up a few questions but my main problem was that I had trouble with the mount driver (for Avalon Linear mount).

A long story short, it turns out that if I run Voyager in administrator mode then the mount driver can’t ‘share’ the mount with multiple applications (Avalon software, Voyager, PHD2). In practice this means that if an app is already connected to the mount driver then Voyager will be able to connect as well but fails with any command (error message says mount is not connected even though it shows green in the startup list). If I connect Voyager first then any other app either does not connect or can connect but any command will fail i.e. PHD is not able to move the mount.

So not sure where the problem is (could be in the Avalon driver) but the logical fix was to start Voyager in normal mode (not administrator) and everything works fine. The question now is will this cause me other problems down the road? Everything seemed to work fine on my testing but what is the reason that you start it in admin mode by default?

Thanks,

Mike

Hello Mike,

Voyager is a system integrator and need to start like Admin because some task need this level. Depends on what controls you use in setup Voyager can work also in normal mode. For sure the first time need to start like admin.

If for you work this mean you will not have problems, just try a session before declare problem free.

Solution for you is to run Voyager for first and leave Voyager open the various software and driver you need.

All the best
LO

I think I have just resolved this. If I also start the other applications using the mount driver in admin mode then it seems to work (testing indoors). Kind of makes sense, funny I didn’t think of this in the field… :smiley:

A few more questions… no need to answer quickly, there is no rush!

1. Sequence auto focus: If I select ‘Voyager RoboStar’ then Voyager will select and move to a suitable near start for focus then return? Correct?
  2. In a sequence if I want to use Voyager V-Curve focusing (same as above) but don’t want Voyager to move to a suitable star i.e. choose a suitable star in the current field of view then I select ‘Focus On Place’ in sequence Focus tab? Correct? (RoboFire is selected in AutoFocus setup)
  3. Once a sequence is running is there a way to pause and make a change to the sequence in use and then resume (i.e. it remembers where it is in the sequence)? Or do I need to edit the sequence and disable all that has been done already before starting it again?
  4. This might be a silly question but is it possible to convert a sequence to a drag script? I’m just asking in case this is what you do internally when running a sequence. If so it would be a handy function to have.
  5. What does the 'Sequence Duration Calculator consider? Is it only based on imaging time or does it estimate download time, focus runs, flips, precision pointing?

I think that’s enough for know :smile:. As mentioned above there is no rush.

Thanks,

Mike

Answer to your questions:

1. yes
  2. Correct. Focus on place just try to pick a star in the field … you must be lucky.
  3. you can pause and restart. you can stop and restart using flag to fastening start. if you pause sequence restart is from the same point. if you stop and restart a sequence actions restart from beginning
  4. automatic transfer sequence to dragscript have not much sense because sequence is not a set of dragscript blocks, you lost all automata and AI management. You can do manually your sequence using dragscript block.
  5. this is a simple utility to calculating duration based on exposure. You have real calculation with prediction during sequence on sequence box info or web dashboard based on your system actions statistics time and mobile mean of last 100 running.

You can find useful info in the wiki here:
https://voyager.tourstar.net/index.php?title=Main_Page

All the best
LO

Thank you for the fast reply! I’ve been through the Wiki a few times already :smile: it’s a lot to take in…

Just one little clarification. If you pause a sequence, can you edit it before restart or not?

Thanks,

Mike

Yes, you can modify also during execution.

All the best
LO