Fornax Dwarf Galaxy

Hi, I want to share my image of a very rare galaxy, Fornax Dwarf. The galaxy has several clusters, I can clearly spot the six of them.

Full res:

Full res annotated:

Equipment:

• Takahashi FSQ -106N FSQ -106N

• Apogee U8300

• EQ5 Mount EQ5

• Software: Starkeeper Voyager Voyager · PI · APP

• Filters: Astronomik Green · Astronomik Blue · Astronomik Red

Frames:

• Astronomik Blue: 73x300" (6h 5’) bin 1x1

• Astronomik Green: 85x300" (7h 5’) bin 1x1

• Astronomik Red: 76x300" (6h 20’) bin 1x1

• Integration: 19h 30’

6 Likes

Really nice! Beautiful looking object :+1:

Roberto

1 Like

Thanks Roberto! This is one of the strangest objects I have ever captured.

Cheers,

José

Jose, really nice!

I noticed that you have an eq5 mount. Is it installed on top of a pier in an observatory or just in your backyard? How well does it work with guiding? Do you have to do a lot of post processing work to get round stars?

How far in subs duration could you easily go with the current setup?

Just curious, because I have my setup flat on dirt in the backyard, without observatory (breaks my heart) and I’m trying to take the most out of it (neq6 with a 8" reflector).

Thanks
Miguel

Hi Miguel,

I don’t do any processing to deal with the start shapes. What I do is toss the bad subs before processing. The keep rate with the EQ5 depends on the declination, image scale, payload and sub length. I am using an off-axis guider which eliminates flexture. With this setup I can reliably take 10min subs with high keep ratio, around 80%. For 5min subs I can keep close to 90% of the subs.

A few years ago I owned an EQ6 and it is better than the EQ5, I managed to take 1hr subs with a super light FS60 telescope. My EQ6 was heavily tuned tho.

IME the biggest problem with mirror-based telescopes is mirror shift, so if you can use an OAG it will greatly improve your keep ratio, this is more relevant with non-premium telescopes with usually have more mechanical issues.

Cheers,

José

Jose, thanks for the reply.

I’m impressed, 10min is really great. I tuned mine too, belt upgrade, I did a makeover on it with new and better bearings. I’m OK with it, really happy, considering that I have it for 10 years. I bought an ioptron cem70 to deal with the heavy setup, but still in the box (7 months) because I’m waiting to have a place to build a permanent observatory. Eventually I have to put it to the use, just to make sure all works fine before warranty is over.

Why did you get rid of your previous mount?

Myself, I don’t like to post process too much, kind of feels unreal for the end result. After all, I have a small scope.

About OAG, I know I should move to that in the future, but with a coma corrector, filter wheel, rotator and a flat panel that helps keep dust away until I wake up, having a piggyback guiding scope helps for balance.

And on the refractor side of things, I would like to try once this kind of scope, but their prohibitive prices for long focal lengths, keep me away… I like to shoot in between 800 and 1500mm, better suited for my long term goals of large, detailed, panels, I think.

Best
Miguel

Beautiful image @Jose_Mtanous!

Great job on the processing, resolved very fine details. Very interesting galaxy!

Regards

1 Like

Thanks. Indeed very unique object. Cheers,

José