ROBOFLAT it’s possible?

Hi everyone. I wanted to know if it was possible to create a roboflat, which starts the camera to do some Flat tests until it finds the most correct histogram so that then a series starts that you can set up and let Voyager think about it? A bit like with all the Robo you have created? Greetings

Hi Dario,

this feature (and with more interesting things like SkyFlat) is already inside Voyager since 2012.
Its called AutoFlat:

https://wiki.starkeeper.it/index.php/Auto_Flat

Its capable also to manage two flat device changing brightness in realtime within exposure time.
Its capable to move telescope to alt az coords, go to zenith, stop mount tracking and more.

I hope this helps.

All the best
Leonardo

And if you have a software adjustable brightness light panel you can set the flat duration and Voyager will adjust the brightness of the panel until you get the right flat. Very useful to be able to match duration of flat darks to the flats.

1 Like

Thank you so much Chris, this is something that I always forget to mention.

All the best
Leonardo

I wasn’t aware of that but it is indeed in the wiki
"And if you have a software adjustable brightness light panel you can set the flat duration and Voyager will adjust the brightness of the panel until you get the right flat. Very useful to be able to match duration of flat darks to the flats.:
In practice, how do you manage it. do you still set : * Set the Min Exp = Max Exp = Init Exp = desired exposure length

• Set the Max Err% to 100
  • Set Target ADU to half your camera’s max ADU, e.g. 32767 if your max ADU is 65535 (16 bit).

But that wouldn’t change the screen brightness since max err is 100%. So do you just do Min Exp = Max Exp = Init Exp = desired exposure length and then Max err% to something like 5% ?
Thank you

Just add after Chris post :slight_smile:

not set error to 100%, just set min max and init exp to your time leave the %error a little higher to 10/12% and the adu you need. Voyage will change brightness for you (if the brightness intervall allow you to reach time and adu requested).

All the best
Leonardo

I set error %age to 15% and durations all to 1.5 seconds for broadband and 15 seconds for narrowband. You still get flats with good signal and in the linear range BUT you can use the same flat darks again and again that you know will match the duration of your flats.

I always remember that actual newest CMOS do not need dark flat, just BIAS is enough.

All the best
Leonardo