Sequence file format

I’m considering writing a package that would determine the best object that’s available for a given time/night, and track the subs for that object. To do this, I was thinking of editing a set of sequence files before each night to be used in a dragscript. I see the sequence files appear to be in XML format. Is there a doc to see what each entry in that XML file is doing or how to edit them without corruption issues? I have a rough guess as to what fields to edit, but it’d be good to double check that changing them will work and not cause any issues while imaging.

Thanks!
Gabe

Hello Gabe,

format of sequence file is XML serialized object from MS.
So you can modify it leaving internal reference safe.
Isnt a pure XML and format is unknow to Voyager.

Leo

I think we must work in a new way to update sequence block from variables.

1 Like

Thanks for the response Leo. That would be great!

I can roughly figure out most of what’s in the file, but am having difficulty resolving some of the lines. For example, I see a string of booleans, without knowing what these control.

<item xsi:type="xsd:boolean">false</item>
<item xsi:type="xsd:boolean">true</item>
<item xsi:type="xsd:boolean">true</item>

I know these aren’t designed to be read by the user, and I fully acknowledge that I’m doing something not supported, but if there are any tips you can give to disentangle these, I’d greatly appreciate it!

Cheers,
Gabe

I hope to help in this way.

what in first <SOAP-ENC:Array id=“ref-2” SOAP-ENC:arrayType=“xsd:anyType[97]”> element is the name of entry in sequence

what in <SOAP-ENC:Array id=“ref-3” SOAP-ENC:arrayType=“xsd:anyType[97]”> elementis the value of the entry in sequence

so if you want to change the entry RA_TEXT (assume in the array is at position 10) wich is in string the J2000 RA of target just change the string in the second array at same progressive position (position 10).

And save.

Other way is like Tom do , prepare all the sequence you need and with a script rename the sequence with a fixed name after your application or script decide what to shot. In this case you call everytime the same sequence name , i think @TWF can explain better.

All the best
LO

Hi Gabe,

You might be interested in the way I manage sequences.

I have one script that I run whenever the weather is promising. It runs 6 sequences called Sequence_1, Sequence_2, … each for 2 hours.

My dragscript waits until Astronomical night, then runs
Sequence_1 from 6pm until 8pm,
Sequence_2 from 8pm until 10pm

Sequence_6 from 4am until End of Astronomical Night.

I prepare any sequence I might need in Voyager the traditional way, and I have 6 batch files that each copy a sequence to one of the generic sequence names so the dragscript can pick it up.
It is a simple task to drag a sequence file and drop it onto one of these batch files to schedule that sequence to run in the corresponding time slot.

I have run the same script most nights for nearly 2 months now, but have been able to change the schedule every night.

You can achieve so much with Voyager’s amazing functionality and a hand full of simple batch files.

Cheers,
Tom

2 Likes