Sh2-140, vdB 153 and LDN 1204 from London with Voyager Array

Another colourful region in Cepheus. Voyager Array doing its trick for the tandem setup:

Sh2-140 in LRGB

17.8hrs acquisition time but half under the sky! I may add some Ha as the Moon starts to get brighter and if the weather cooperates. See link above for full resolution versions.

Thanks

Roberto

LRGB

And RGB only with the smaller refractor:

11 Likes

Wonderful Roberto, congratulations. Perfect color !

All the best
Leonardo

1 Like

I agree with Leo. I did the central region of this in 2018 and this version makes mine look a bit over coloured. It really is an exceptional image - if I didn’t already know then I would never have believed it was imaged from Bortle 6 skies.

Robert

Thank you Leo, Robert!

Robert, I think the rainy and stormy days followed by clear nights helped with transparency and colour fidelity in the raw frames. In addition, the OSC camera keeps surprising me.

Roberto

Very nice work with lot of integration.
May I ask you:
Do you focusing for each slot of channel or your use only L channel for all?
Thanks

Hi Andrea
Each sequence starts with a Robofocus session. Array 1 uses the L filter for focusing, whilst Array 2 being an OSC camera, focuses RGB at once.
If I were acquiring through other filters with Array 1, Voyager would use offsets versus L. Still works well, see my Veil Loop image which used Ha and OIII from array 1.

Roberto

Thanks for your reply.

Hi Roberto,
Wonderful shot from near London! You definitely have the light pollution removal nailed. Gorgeous…

When you mentioned using offsets in the previous comment, how would you do that with Voyager? I suppose if using Sky X for camera control you could input them there in each filter. If using Voyager for camera/filter wheel control is there another way?

Jon

1 Like

Nice image Roberto, Star color is great!!!

1 Like

Hi Jon

Thank you. The offsets are only used in Voyager Array where focusing for each array (imaging unit) is done with a single filter and then other filter positions are offset to achieve best focus. So for Array 1, I have the L filter as “master” for focusing and all other filters on that unit (Ha, OIII and SII) are offset from whatever best focus position is achieved with L. For Array 2, I use an OSC camera so by default the colour grid is focused at once. If I were to have R,G and B filters on array 2, I would perhaps use R as “master” and offset B and G.
When I used MaxIM in the past (from 2002 until I started using Voyager), I always used offsets for my filter wheel. Having a refractor with a relatively stable relationship between T and filter position, it wasn’t difficult to achieve acceptable focus for other filters.
As Voyager is so fast focusing, even in narrowband, I moved away from offsets when imaging with just one unit. Now that I have two scopes in tandem and am using Array, I have had to recalculate offsets and use them once more. I know Leo is not keen on offsets and has been looking at other ways of focusing in Voyager Array but so far my results are good enough for the seeing I get in the UK.
Offsets are entered as numeric values relative to the zero L position in the settings menu of Observatory Array in Voyager Array - a window that is visible to those using that version of Voyager.

Roberto