Suggestions on Manual filter handling?

Hi,

I am putting together a new system based on a RASA 11. I plan to use Baader UFC to manage filters, however, the process is manual. I plan to use a single filter per imaging session.

Setting the filter data and propagating it across file names, directories and fits metadata is very convenient (not essential or a showstopper). Any suggestions on how to achieve this? I am looking into ASCOM to see if there is such a thing as a filterwheel simulator, so I can artificially instruct Voyager what filter I am using during the image session.

Any suggestion is welcome!

Cheers,

José

Hello Jose,

you can use filter wheel simulator on ASCOM , other users with manual filter use this escamotage.
Select in Voyager like filter wheel the simulator, set the filters in Voyager filter list and select the filter in the sequence. Voyager will do a dummy filter select for you.

All the best
LO

2 Likes

Thanks! That will solve my problem.

Cheers,

José

I can see how the ASCOM Simulator will “select” the filter. However with my ageing years I forget
things and would like some sort of Flag to tell my aging memory to change the filter. Is this possible?

Bob Parry
Chilliwack Observatory

Welcome Bob,

in an automation software like Voyager you cannot forget to set the filter because you must specify for each actions. What could happen is that you can use a wrong filter for a test shot … this is not so bad.

All the best and again welcome
Leonardo

Do it as a multisequence and have it pause and send you an email/text to come change the filter?

Ah ok … anyway you can do this mads0100.

Dragscript has blocks for sending messages in various way and stop execution and prompt the user with a customizable text for continue.

All the best
Leonardo

I used the email feature to send a text to my cell phone… I linked my gmail (like your option allows). You’d just need to have the sequence ‘wait’ until you action it. I’m assuming there is an option to do that.

I’ll see if I can figure it out.

Use “Wait user OK” block

All the best
Leoanrdo

1 Like