Veil Nebula Mosaic with Array - RGBHaOIII

Veil Nebula - 3x3 Mosaic -

Biggest project yet with the tandem set up and longest in duration for me. 9 panel mosaic (3x3) of Veil Nebula complex in Cygnus. Taken over June/July with no complete astronomical darkness (typically imaging from 11:30pm to 2:30am during nautical darkness). Tried to take 20 minute frames for narrowband using the G4 whilst the ASI2600 took RGB in 5 minute intervals, moving to the next panel and repeating. Voyager worked flawlessly throughout :sunglasses:.
Aligning, merging and processing 1GB individual mosaic files (and masks) was a challenge! :hot_face:
Although I managed to capture 2hrs per panel in Ha, weather only allowed 1hr or so for OIII which is noticeably noisier. I am happy I managed to complete this project though - and that is over!

See link above for information and for native resolution versions.
Thanks

Roberto

12 Likes

Amazing image Roberto!
Congratulation

1 Like

Thank you Donghun! I don’t think my monitor profile (new PC) made it to the version on Astrobin now that I look at it again :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Fantastic Roberto!
Did you use / have you tried APP for stitching the mosaic panels? It works quite well once you know the settings. You have to integrate the panels separately, then load the finished panels and let APP align and stack them.

Cheers,
Rowland

Hi Rowland - thank you! I used PixInsight for the mosaics and a new script written by John Murphy which is based on photometric measurements of astrometrically solved panels. It works very well, controls gradients and deals with distortions which for the size of this mosaic were very apparent. See here: Photometric mosaic

Roberto

Congratulations for the image, wonderful Roberto !
Thanks for sharing.

Leonardo

1 Like

Congrats Roberto!
Amazing work with Mosaic, 10768x10772 pixel image deserves a print :slight_smile:.
Maybe I would have saturated the RGB color on the stars a little more, for my personal taste.

Thanks for sharing.
Francesco

Thank you Francesco! The Dashboard was central to all the planning a preparation for this mosaic; without it I couldn’t have done it. :+1:

As for colours, my PixInsight copy is much more saturated - somehow I cannot transfer the correct ICC profile to the web since I upgraded my PC…

Roberto

Beautiful image Roberto.

Joe

1 Like

Thank you Joe!

Roberto

Roberto, I’m very glad to read that our hard work on Voyager and WebDashboard helps to make the astrophotography experience easier and more enjoyable, especially when it leads to these excellent results.
Thanks.
Francesco

1 Like

Wow, that is a great looking image! I’ve been posting my on my website astrocandy.org
You should check out my North American Nebula mosaic… it took me forever!!! It’s made up of 5 images sets per filter. The grayscale Ha version is actually my favorite image. Liked it so much it is the main image on the website. LOL I’m no pro by any means but I’ve been have a great time!

Image Link: http://astrocandy.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Master_Ha_resized-1500x1170.jpg
Full Size Image (25MB): http://astrocandy.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/NorthAmericaNebula_Ha_full.jpg
Take care,
B

2 Likes

Thank you Brandon! We both have some masochistic tendencies then :grin: Your mosaic is great; will check your website now.
Cheers
Roberto

1 Like

Let’s go on with the mosaics guys, I will follow you very soon :smiley:
F

Big mosaics are decidedly masochistic

https://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisjbaileyuk/40724397563/in/datetaken/

is 16 panels with a Samyang 135mm.

1 Like

Great mosaic, I hope you next time will use Voyager.

All the best
Leonardo

Hi Leo

It would have made it a lot easier! I ended up scripting it in SkyX.

Chris

Voyager have a dedicate framing and section for mosaics, try it.

All the best
Leonardo

Give it a try @chrisjbaileyuk
Here a workflow short video:

Best regards
Francesco

Hi Francesco.

Next Mosaic will definitely be done that way OR by importing the mosaic from SkyX.

Chris

1 Like