64 bit Voyager Update

I have a new camera that has a 26 Mega Pixels by 16 bit depth and the recommendation is to us the 64 bit version for these larger sensors. I have the 32 bit version of Voyager installed and wondering what the procedure is to update to the 64 bit version.

Thank you

Bob Parry
Chilliwack Observatory

Doesn’t exists Voyager 64 bit … isn’t needed.
Voyager are able to manage up to 3GB of memory for how is compiled and you camera is not so big to need a 64 bit driver.

All the best
Leonardo

Oh, I thought I read that there was a 64 bit version, My Bad.

Thank you

Bob Parry
Chilliwack Observatory

26MP and 16 bit, sounds like an ASI2600 or the QHY equivalent? I can confirm my ASI2600MC works perfectly with Voyager. Each image FITS file is around 50mb in size.

The camera I am using is the Mallincam DS26c. It uses the same chip as the ZWO and QHY cameras you mentioned. Just waiting for some clear weather.

Bob Parry
Chilliwack Observatory

Really nice camera Bob.

All the best
Leonardo

Hi Blu,

I have both ASI2600mc-pro and ASI2600mm-pro and I can tell you that they work perfectly in Voyager.

Ciao, Marzio :blush:

Sorry …Blue :upside_down_face:

Well, tonight is the night. The clouds have departed and I should get a little time to image tonight. Forecast calling for the clouds to come back around 23:00 local tonight.

Bob Parry
Chilliwack Observatory

Good luck Bob.

Marzio, I hope to join you soon in owning both an OSC and mono ASI2600.

Voyager (32bit) works just fine with the ASI2600MC -which I’ve had for 1 year. Over USB2.0 it takes less than 3 seconds to download a full frame.

Roberto

Hi,

I confirm and add for further information that I have configured the asi2600 with Voyager v2 driver and use them on usb 3.0. I have never measured the download time, but we are around 1 second. A show.

Marzio

I really like the looks of Voyager butI have the QHY600M do you think that 32bit Voyager will work with a camera that produces 61 megapixel images?

We run two of ZWO ASI6200 (same chip as QHY600) and no problem.

Thank you for the reply - do you mind telling me the rest of the software that you use for your astrophotography kit?

A lot of user have a QHY600 and running Voyager, also a bigger sensor from QHY. Personally I have a QHY600 since 1 year.

Voyager can address up to 3GB of RAM for driver for how is developed and compiled, also if it is a 32bit application.

Anyway only the driver is at 32 bit (and manage only one image at time) … the FIT viewer and FIT processor are 64bit applications in Voyager.

Hi,

We use Voyager Arry as the main driver. PHD guiding for guiding, ASTAP for plate-solving, and theSkyX for the planetarium part. I guess that’s it… Let me know if I am missing your question in specific part~

From me also: No problems with an ASI2600MM and a QHY294M (in 47MP Mode). Downloads are fast (2s for the QHY). Memory use of Voyager is not an issue at all, would not expect any problems with much larger chips, even.

@Montana_Skies 32 bits technically allow 4GB native addressable memory and integer support (however for various historical reasons Windows is a sad old operating system and really only offers 3GB - Voyager on Linux/Unix one day I hope!).

61 megapixel images aren’t even close to stressing the operating system’s native addressable memory capabilities for what Voyager needs to do. I can’t actually think of a case where it’s particularly necessary until you start stacking, where 64bit comes into its own (or viewing large stacked images) - how if you had the sensor from teh Vera Rubin telescope, different story… :wink:

As much as I hate that Windows and Windows developers even need to think about 64 vs. 32 bit in the modern era, it’s really not that big of a deal with the exception of the confusion it creates - you can see why Apple just insisted that everything roll over to 64 bit, not because it was technically required, but it does make the user’s life easier as it’s one less thing they need to think about.

1 Like

For your info about 64 bit …

2 Likes