Almost a New User

Hello Voyager Community,

I am still tentative about whether to purchase this software.

I have been using the Demo Version a few nights over the past couple weeks. I need more convincing. I have solved some of my issues. The software is excellent and I am sure Leo and the rest of the community will be able to help me through the remaining sticky items I have not been able to resolve.

I am the owner of at least 2 Software Bisque mounts so I am committed to using TSX as much as possible to remove as many potential failure points which could cause damage to my equipment or lost opportunity to gather data. I live in Minnesota, home of the jet stream and a noisy sky.

My description of a night would be the following sequence of events.

1. Start Voyager - I would use the startup section to connect the mount, camera, focuser. [I do not guide, this is another subject for another time.]
    I want Voyager to connect to TSX and home the mount. [I am good to this point, this all works].

2. Start a sequence:

• Slew to target (I want to use the feature in TSX - Closed Loop Slew) and center the target in the camera frame.
  • Set the focus for the selected filter
  • Take a sequence of exposures until the target is within 5 minutes or less of transiting the meridian.
  • Flip the Meridian
  • Verify the previous target is centered in the camera frame, adjust as necessary.
  • Check focus for selected filter
  • Continue with exposures until set time.
  • Park the scope.

I have successfully executed the meridian flip and the parking. I am OK for these steps.

I am having trouble with the closed loop slew and obtaining focus.

I know I am working with the demo mode and I understand the limitations of one hour max, I get that, I have tried to at least start the sequence with a target close to the meridian to “test” the sequence.

So if someone can convince me there is a possible configuration to take advantage of all the wonderful features of Voyager to interface with the features of TSX, please let me know.

Thank you!

Mark

Could you please post your dragscript? :slight_smile:

Hi Mark,

I use TSX with Voyager but have never needed to use Closed Loop Slew. Voyager can verify and correct the pointing precision in the same way using by using TSX - if you configure TSX as your plate solver then it’s just as quick.

I also do not guide and that is supported just as well as guided imaging - it’s just a couple of check-boxes so really easy.

If you want to do the Voyager equivalent of a closed loop slew then use one of the two precision pointing elements under Dragscript->Actions->Mount - it does the same thing as CLS but within Voyager.

I actually find my Paramount to be precise enough in pointing that the initial slew is within dither distance and that’s good enough for me. If you’re able to go unguided like me for 10mins or so then your pointing model should be quite accurate enough for the initial slew to be fine.

Hope that helps
Robert

In Demo mode, Dragscript is not enabled. You should activate trial mode, which will allow you to use the full feature set of Voyager for 45 days.

With that said, precise pointing in Voyager will do the same thing as closed loop slew in TSX.

Robert:

How precise is your TPoint model? One of mine is something like 16 arcsecs.

Mark

My model is showing 10.3 on a 28 model Recal run.

It is very important to get the correct atmospheric pressure and I also do a recal from time to time. The Recal takes just over 5 minutes so isn’t that onerous with binned exposures.

Robert