DIY dust cap fully compatible with Voyager

Hi,

I am building a new observatory and since it is located 200km from home I had to build/buy many new components to add some ensure redundancy. For remote operations, comes close to Voyager/Viking/Dragscript.

Since I want to keep my optics as clean as possible I designed and built a motorized dust cap. All the components are easy to source and the cap and bracket can be 3d printed. This cap is designed for a TOA150 and I am working on the FSQ106 version, I also plan to build another one for a RASA11.

I still need to modify the motor bracket to accommodate the Arduino nano, but that should be easy.

The servo motor is driven by an Arduino that runs an extended version of ArduinoLightbox project.

I will release the cap and bracket STL files in Thingiverse and the patched version of ArduinoLightbox in gitlab.

If you are interested in building a cap based on these ideas let me know and I will share Fusion 360 CAD files.

Cheers,

Jose

9 Likes

You can see the cap in motion here:

10 Likes

Congratuations Jose, and great thing to share with us.
I’m sure a lot of users will found this precious.

All the best
Leonardo

That is fantastic, Jose! I’ve made something similar using an Arduino Nano for my FSQ-106, except I also built mine using an EL Panel; I call it the DarkLight Cover/Calibrator. It’s ASCOM compliant with the new ICoverCalibrator driver available in ASCOM v 6.5. I’ve provided Leo the information to incorporate the ASCOM features needed for the Flat & Device section; hopefully, it will be ready shortly in a future build. You can find the STL’s, ASCOM driver, and Arduino code, from my project site on SourceForge or just the STL files on Thingiverse to hopefully help with your FSQ project. I’ve also published the STL files for the Explore Scientific ED102 Essential Series but may fit other telescopes depending on their size. The two variations will fit dew shields with an outside diameter of approximately 146.3mm and 156mm, respectively.

2 Likes

On todo list … thank you so much

All the best
Leonardo

1 Like

Natan

We corresponded on this back in April. Well do on a very well presented project. It looks great. I am using to a modified version of the Arduino lightbox code to drive my flap. This works well with the Arduion driver which is included with Voyager. There is no EL panel as I have a separate Wall mounted flat panel.

I am very interested in your ASCOM driver. I will try it with my code or just change over to yours. I did use the VarSpeedServo.h library which allows the servo speed to be reduced as my flap did slam open and closed. Slower servos may not need this.

I will have to check if your STL files will fit my Esprit 100.

Anyway well done again.

Regards

Graham

2 Likes

Thank you both for sharing! I will try to make my own. I have a new observatory build going and this fits perfectly for my project.

1 Like

Really nice project, it looks way more mature than mine. I have made some changes in order to keep tighter the cap/telescope contact. I will publish my changes soon.

Any chance to add support for other projects into your ASCOM driver?

Cheers,

Jose

I have modified the arm and now it is articulated, so the contact is tighter, however, in order to keep good contact the servo has to be stalled at closed position, so I have added a mosfet and change the arduino code to only energize the servo when moving. So far so good, I will post the changes soon.

Cheers,

Jose

1 Like

Jose, I’d be more than happy to add support for other projects into my ASCOM driver. PM sent.

1 Like

Hi Jose, Where can we find the extended version of the Arduino lightbox? I have the original built but need a dustcap on my telescope to stop dust getting on my camera. Also what Servo was used, is a digital Servo fine to use?

Andrew.

Hi Andrew,

I am using a digital servo indeed. Rated to 25kg.

I haven’t implemented any lightbox functionality just basic open/close functions to project the scope from the dust.

Cheers,

José

Thanks For the info. :slight_smile: I use a separate light box also, I tried Sky flats, but couldn’t get them to work for me. Probably was doing it wrong.

Andrew.

This looks brilliant. I’ve been contemplating making such a device for a while.

Any advice on where best to get the components in the UK?

Thanks, Mark