DragScript Feature Request - Check/Map Network Drive

Hello Leonardo,

I have a minor feature request for the DragScript Section “Operating System”. From my point of view there should be a feature added to check and/or map a network drive.

Background: At El Sauce the safety information is provided via a text file on a network share. If that share is not present, the safety text file monitor will fail. At the start of a DragScript it makes much sense to check the presence of that share and connect it if missing.

It can be easily done by running an external script of course, but to make it more comfortable it would be nice to add this as a built-in feature to the operating system section of DragScript, wouldn’t it!? It’s just a “nice to have”, low prio.

Regards, Mathias

1 Like

HI Mathias, we have a lot of users at El Sauce.

If Voyager cannot read the safety data will not start the dragscript if you have the emergency events managed. So basycally you do not need to do anything.

Generally this kind of task with OS I dont want to add in Voyager, sorry. You can use an external script.

All the best
Leonardo

Hi Leonardo,

thanks for reply. That Voyager does not start the DragScript if it cannot read the safety data IS the problem. Not in terms Voyager is doing something wrong, but in the sense that it is losing observation time. So, basically I have to do something. Of course I solved this issue with an external script and I understand that you want to focus on core functionality of Voyager. It’s just a question of comfort.

Regards, Mathias

Hi Mathias,

the dragscript start in anycase (sorry for my wrong info) just entering in emergency events if you have the event enabled. Disable the events and loop on your external script check if you want, in this case you can recognize things and choose how to continue.

BUT it is not a time to loosen up but a safety, to make things work is the right way.
Losing a mapped drive is not a normal thing.

All the best
Leonardo

1 Like

Hi Leonardo,

I guess my request was really not that useful. When it comes to unattended DragScript execution as a scheduled background task the concept of network drive comes to its limit anyway since that is not supported when user is not logged in.

The very simple solution which avoids all that mess and the scripting is to use UNC path in the Voyager profile pointing to the safety monitor input file. THAT seems to be the solution I wanted. I should think a little deeper next time before asking such things.

Regards, Mathias

Not a problem Mathias.
Starting an application with GUI from a PC not logged is not something you can do easily in scheduler.
Use autologon at windows start and after a scheduled task.

Mathias,

This is out of topic but it might help you. I have a hosted equipment at Martin’s Pugh observatory, the safety flag lives in a windows share, however as you already discover is not very reliable to make sure the shared resource is mounted. I asked Martin to share the same file using Syncthing and it works flawlessly, no need to mount the resource and you don’t need to worry about being on the same local network, etc.

Syncthing works wonders for moving data from my observatory PC to my desktop, very efficient and trouble-free.

Cheers,

Hi Jose,

thanks for the tipp regarding Syncthing. I evaluated this tool for image data shipment but decided to use Acrosync for that.
The avalability of the network share with the safety file provided by Obstech@El Sauce is quite good so far. I just had problems reading this two times in half a year.
I hope using the UNC path in the Voyager setting instead of mounting a share will eliminate the issue, but using syncthing is a good idea if nothing else helps.

Regards, Mathias

1 Like