First light of my new portable setup RedCat51 Medusa, Monkey and M35

Hi,

I am putting together a new portable setup that consists of a RedCat51 with motorized focuser, Orion Sirius mount (HEQ5?) and an Atik11000M (fullframe KAI11000 sendor camera). This is the first light of the setup: Medusa, Monkey and M35

The redcat51 almost covers the fullframe sensor (albeit 9u pixels) with round stars. The far corners are distorted but not ugly.

As expected with Voyager, everything just worked.

Cheers,

José

9 Likes

Congrats Jose,

CMOS or not … 11000 sensor is one of the best for AP.
Wonderful image.

All the best
Leonardo

1 Like

Thanks Leo for the kind comment. I totally agree about old big CCD sensors, they are a joy to use and way easier to calibrate than the new CMOS cameras.

Your images always pop with great color and detail, José. There is so much great stuff in this part of the sky. Well done.

Glenn

1 Like

Thanks! I am glad that you like it. Indeed this zone is amazing and full of wonders. It is a shame that I don’t have an O3 filter for this camera, I am sure there are some nice O3 filaments that I didn’t pickup.

Cheers,

José

1 Like

Hello josé,

\o/ Nice shoot.

Would you mind to share the solution you have used to motorise your focuser; and the drivers you have used to control it with voyager ?

Hi,

The motor is a ZWO USB focuser with a 3D printed bracket and crown. The driver is the vanilla ZWO. Work fine with Voyager Robofocus. No problems so far.

1 Like

oh! cool.
Could you share the link to the stl files ? :stuck_out_tongue:

I bought the RedCat second-hand and it was fully accessorized. I just asked the former owner about the STL file and he pointed that the bracket and crown is commercial, no STL available.

This is the system I am using:
https://agenaastro.com/pro-astrogear-black-cat-mount-attach-zwo-eaf-asiair-guidescope-on-william-optics-redcat-51-telescope.html

If you have a 3D printer, I don’t think it is worth the price, I took a look in thingyverse and there are plenty of free designs that looks as good as the one I own.

Cheers,