Fixed Length Flats Checkbox

Would love to see a checkbox for an option for fixed length flats.

I saw the workaround in the wiki, but that means I have to run the utility to find my exposure setting, then record that, then go back into the auto flat and change the settings as described.

Thanks for consideration!

1 Like

Fixed lenght time in autoflat is something against autoflat idea.
In anycase … if you need fixed time just use min and max time equal or not use autoflat but the sequence or DragScript exposure block.

All the best
Leonardo

If you have a flat panel with software controlled light intensity I see nothing against the autoflat idea. Actually I use fixed length time flats to match the exposure times of my flatdark library. I use exactly your proposal of equal min and max time setting and Voyager finds perfectly and fast the proper light intensity setting.

Best regards,
Joachim

AutoFlat in Voyager do flat in so many ways … time is the first parameters will be touched usually.
For this I wrote “something against”… thank for the feedback Joachim.

I have used both dawn sky flats and a flat panel depending on the camera I was using. My old ASI294 did not produce usable bias frames (A known characteristic of those cameras) so I used a flat panel and in the autoflat setup I set the min, max and initial exposure time to the exposure I used to create my dark-flats and let Voyager sort it out by varying the panel brightness (And once I knew the correct brightness I set that as the initial brightness as well) and it flawlessly produced flats. If you need fixed length flats to suit your camera (Such as matching dark-flats) that is how I would do it.

My newer camera, an ASI2600MC, produces good bias frames so I have Voyager shoot dawn flats each night and let it sort out the exposure time for itself. The only thing I have had to do to speed the process is widen the ADU error tolerance from the default 5% to 10% and it spends less time hunting for the correct exposure as the sky lightens. I have not seen any quality issues with the master flat generated as a result of allowing a wider ADU tolerance. I actually did that with the ASI294 as well as it could sometimes run into an issue where one step on the panel brightness was too dim and the next too bright.