Flat Panel Recommendation?

Anyone have a good flat panel recommendation?

I’d love to automatically run my flats after my session, though automatic isn’t strictly needed (I do tend to only do flats every few weeks or more). I do want to get a flat panel that works great with Voyager, though.

Anyone have any good recommendations that work w/ Voyager?

My primary rig is a 100mm scope, though I also own a C925 that I occasionally image with. A flat panel for the big one isn’t needed at this time.

Skyflat ? This helps to avoid flat panel and get better flat:
https://wiki.starkeeper.it/index.php/Auto_Flat#Sky_Flats

All the best
Leo

2 Likes

Best flat panels in my opinion:

1. Skyflat
  2. DeepSkyDad flat cover (https://shop.deepskydad.com/product-category/flat-panels/)
  3. do not exist a third one

Best

Do the deep sky dad flat panels work w Voyager easily?

Yep, ascom drivers.
Br

Artesky has a great panel that is 20in wide that is very afforadle and provides great quality. supported in Voyager as well.

1 Like

I haven’t had good luck with COTS flat panels. Without naming names, they haven’t actually been flat at all. Also, many do not have good IR output if any - probably not a big deal if you are just taking LRGB, but if you are doing science or IR imaging, absolutely necessary. Sky flats (though, I haven’t written that scripts into my larger 24x7 automation dragscript, yet).

That said, we’ve been working on making a flat panel in our dome since we have a tendency to see a lot of clouds near twilight. The trick is you really need to be tracking through the screen - for a 24-inch, this translates to a really large screen!!

Frankly, I own an Artesky flat panel for both my TOA-130 and my TEC-200 and I prefer to shoot sky flats. I haven’t used the panels for 2 years. I get much better results than with the panel and with Voyager there is zero effort required. I have them set up to run in my dragscript when I need them (I run them every 3 months) and they always work and produce perfect flats.

Give it a try before you purchase a panel…

Tim

1 Like

How big of a flat panel do you need? Larger panels will cover more of your telescope’s field of view, but they will also be heavier and more expensive. Smaller panels are more portable and affordable, but they may not be large enough for your needs.

I would be another to suggest sky flats if you have the opportunity. Voyager makes dawn or dusk sky flats really easy. I don’t always use them but my nightly script includes shooting a full set of flats every morning.

I use PegasusAstro’s FlatMaster 250L, easy to setup, reliable and works well with Voyager (ASCOM).

Here’s another vote for sky flats. I would say they are the “purest” form of flat frame, since they are made in the same way you take light frames. Voyager makes it so easy.

Glenn

I finally got around to setting up my sky flat sequence. It honestly took me about 10 minutes to get everything in order. I did have to change my start time to civil twilight minus 30minutes just to give it more time before astronomical twilight.

I recently bought a panel from this manufacturer, Photoglow.com, the panel are of an indescribable purity and uniformity, the intensity is managed via Bluetooth with steps of 1 to 100, does not fail a shot with any filter. I hope it can be useful for those looking for the alternative to the Sky Flat.

If you’re using the flat panel for astrometry, you’ll need a panel that is uniform in brightness and color across its entire surface. This will help to ensure that your astrometry measurements are accurate.

This panel is specifically designed for astrophotography and is compatible with Voyager through ASCOM drivers. It has a large illumination area (250mm diameter) and provides even illumination across the field of view. It’s also relatively portable and easy to set up.

What panel are you talking about?