FocusMax and Voyager

I am running Voyager in two rigs, it works brilliantly! However my widefield setup (FSQ106 @ f/3 + Atik11000) is very low resolution and I am having some issues using RoboFire with the Ha filter. LRGB focusing works perfectly but Ha is giving me some headaches (at focus the target star become too small and RoboFire doesn’t detect it properly).

FocusMax works fine on this system and I want to give it a try. Any suggestions? Would it be possible to let Voyager do the star selection, centering etc and just use FM to run the focus routine? IIRC FMs Acquire star routine is not smart enough to use the L filter for plate solving so I rather use Voyager’s do the star selection and centering and just leave FM to do the focusing.

Thanks!

José

Dear Josè,

RoboFIre work fine with setup like yours (i also have used this combo for years) and dont have problem to detect stars.

I think you have something wrong in you setting. If you do focus with HA filter you must select the right star magnitude in filters setup of Voyager. RoboStar will do the work for you.

Obvius Focusmax work great and you are free to use.

All the best
LO

Hi Leo,

I have tried with stars between 2 and 3 magnitude with the same result. If you are confident that RoboStar is doing the right thing maybe there is a bug somewhere else. I am using MaximDL as camera control but the issue is repeatable if I use ASCOM directly to control the camera.

If possible I don’t want to use FM, Robofire is more convenient and faster.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

José

Hi Jose,

bug produce an error, is always possible there is a bug fo sure but before is better we can try to understand.

Sometime work sometime no in your log … probabil star is to smaller near HFD 1 is not possible to go under … just use a bigger star for focus.

Which HA filter you have ?

All the best

LO

Hi Leo,

I am using an astrondon 5nm filter. The stars get closer to 1 pixel when the system is focused.

So far I have tried 10s exposures and 2~3 star magnitude. Sometime it works but most of the time it doesn’t. The problem happens during the last capture when the routine finishes and try to take the last image to confirm focus.

I also have to change ‘Target Star Bin’ from 2 to 1 because if I leave set to Bin 2 it fail to detect the star at the beginning of the focusing run.

Thanks,

José

A star under 1 pixel cannot be detected.
From your log I see a mag 3,8 3,9 are used. so try to pu 2.0 to 2.9 in magnitude of star.
Bin 2 i dont think is a good choice in a so undersampled resolution.
Its not a question of time on exposure but of Flux. Bigger flux can avoid problem.

Let me know

All the best
LO

Please provide a FIT when at focus to dowload, send the link to the support email.

All the best
LO

Hi,

Do you want the full frame or just the central crop? What exposure time do you want?

On my other system I saw that voyager saves the images used for autofocus, but that system uses TheSkyX as camera control. I assume that TheSkyX is responsible for saving the images.

Cheers,

José

I check you log , if you use star under 2.80 focus work
Just do a test shot with onthefly action when you are at focus 1s full frame

Focus in Voyager doesn’t save image.

All the best
LO

If you want to use FocusMax and want RoboFire choose a star for you just set like control in autofocus FocusMax and choose RoboStar in sequence configuration, tab focus.

All the best
LO

Please Jose, let me know if this help on your issue. I added a checkbox (red attention on use) with a modify on AI filtering dedicate to your situation. Other filters will not be affected just the narrow.

All the best
LO

Thank you, I will test it next week and let you know.

Gracias