I will often rotate my camera to optimize the composition of my astro images. Sometimes I can crop them to the desired framing, but not always. And sometimes I really do not want to “throw away” so much of an image with a crop.
It would be very nice if there was a “manual rotator” option that would allow those of us without motorized rotators to manually rotate the camera with the assistance of plate solving.
Say, for example, I wanted to image M42 at a certain camera angle.Voyager might facilitate that through precision pointing by:
- slewing to the target and taking an image to plate solve.
- computing the delta between the current and desired camera angle.
- prompting the user to rotate the camera N degrees clockwise or counterclockwise.
- taking a new image to plate solve.
- and repeating the process until the rotation is within the user’s acceptable error.
I am reluctant to add to your ever-growing list of things to do, Leo. Thanks for all of your hard work on this remarkable program.