New Camera Support ... Player One Astronomy Cameras

After viewing the cameras in question, I realized that I was dealing with a new level of firmware/software/mechanics and electronics compared to the noble competitors of the same geographic area. As an engineer I could only think that these cameras will make a difference in the market in the near future (of course I can always be wrong but the firmware and software I’ve seen usually speak very clearly).

The support in Voyager is ready, I thank Tecnosky Italia and Sean of Player One for having entrusted me with a camera for development which I will obviously buy to use it with my epsilon, a Poseidon-C with the IMX571 sensor (APS-C in colour).

An image taken with cooling off (30°C on air)

After having parallelized the download and saving of the FIT (not deferred as other software do as I consider it a gamble but parallelized in the sense that all the cores of the processor are used at the same time to download the data from the DDR of the camera and for the saving them to disk) I saw top performances as you can see from the image: data download in 100 milliseconds and FIT saving to disk in about 600 milliseconds. Talk about a camera that generates 50MB FITs.

If I were you, give it a little thought… soon there will be a download of the 2.3.9a release with support for Player One.

1 Like

I forget to write that these are the first CMOS cameras where you can change the readout mode without reinit the camera in SDK , so now in Voyager you can select the readout mode for this cameras for each single shot.

I tried with another CMOS brand having a lot of readoutmode but a dedicated reinit of firmware is necessary that make really dangerous to change it between shot

immagine

In the final daily build with optimization and compilation on release version we go down to:
90ms for download of 26MP image
290ms for save FIT file of 51MB

That is seriously quick. That would have to be a big advantage if you were doing short exposure (Say 30 second) imaging, being able to get measurably more exposures done in an hour, even focus runs would be measurably faster if you were using Localfield.

Excellent choice Leo, the IMX571 Color, make you literally put the other CCD/CMOS retired, with the epsilon short f/l be prepared to have supports for hundreds of fits and the patience of a longer stacking processing, the result is worth it.

For the filter wheel use the ascom driver. There isn’t benefit to have a direct driver for this