QHY and ASI beta drivers

Voyager have direct driver using SDK for this cameras … but cannot release installation with beta driver from this brands. So if you want to use beta driver in the wiki is described how to do or in the page of each single brand. (basically download SDK file and copy on Voyager installation folder).

In any case, we will not be responsible for any malfunctions or strange behaviors.
If you have problems with these drivers, first open a support ticket at your CMOS support service.

A last thing, like wrote in wiki, if you will update Voyager installation with a new daily build or release we will install back the last stable SDK (for us).

All the best
Leonardo

5 Likes

Some clarification about level of drivers:

• Camera Driver (low level file needed by Camera to work with your OS, usually contains also the firmware will be loaded on camera for some brand/models) this must be installed in anycase and usually are not included in SDK and ASCOM driver
  • SDK (mid level file for allow application to talk with the camera driver, can be used to direct access to camera) this not include camera driver usually depends on camera brands
  • ASCOM Driver (ASCOM platform file allow all application compatible with ASCOM to work with camera, use SDK to access to camera driver) not include camera driver but usually include SDK, location of the SDK usually is not the right one for the application use only SDK … this is the reason if you install newer ASCOM driver not mean automatically you will have your application with updated SDK.

SDK with direct access is the most performant usually especially for CMOS with big size sensor.

All the best
Leonardo

2 Likes

Buongiorno Leonardo, felice anno nuovo a te e a tutti gli utilizzatori di Voyager. Nei prossimi giorni riceverò la QHY294m e mi piacerebbe tenere alto questo topic per segnalare eventuali problemi di compatibilità, e quali saranno i corretti driver (oppure gli SDK aggiuntivi) da utilizzare. E’ prevedibile che ci saranno diversi utilizzatori di queste camere CMOS, ed è altrettanto evidente che i driver di queste devono ancora essere ottimizzati per gli utenti finali. Appena riceverò la camera, proverò a farla funzionare con Voyager, e comunicherò le mie impressioni: eventualmente potrei utilizzare anche il supporto personale di Leo, ma queste esperienze potrebbero essere utili anche ad altri.

Cari saluti…

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
715 / 5000

Hello Leonardo, happy new year to you and all Voyager users. In the next few days I will receive the QHY294m and I would like to keep this topic high to report any compatibility problems, and what will be the correct drivers (or additional SDKs) to use. It is foreseeable that there will be several users of these CMOS cameras, and it is equally evident that the drivers of these cameras have yet to be optimized for end users. As soon as I receive the camera, I will try to make it work with Voyager, and I will communicate my impressions: eventually I could also use Leo’s personal support, but these experiences could also be useful to others. Greetings …

1 Like

Hi Roberto,

just to be very short i answer you for point:

• ASI and QHY have only one SDK and not more SDK for every cameras
  • Voyager use ASCOM or SDK
  • SDK call is equal for all camera and no distinction is possible
  • Voyager do not have in his installation any beta driver and will never have
  • the camera you talk (and the sensor) seems to be in beta and need for sure BETA drivers
  • If you want to use beta camera driver you must update it on Voyager installation folder
  • in the latest daily build I separate the SDK dll from root directory of Voyager installation folder to help who want use beta driver
  • QHY on more that ASI have problem on drivers having called the SDK dll with the same name of DLL used for ASCOM, this mean the first DLL (and for sure his version) you load will remain in memory until you close all reference (others application also opening it). This cause strange behavior to who change ASCOM to Native more times or use QHY from more than one application vendor. QHY engineers reached me directly and I suggest them solution for this.
  • for each information about driver and DLL you must refer to ASI and QHY directly, they release driver to fix problems with this cameras so frequently
  • this is link to ASI driver page (look for driver and also for SDK tab update) https://astronomy-imaging-camera.com/software-drivers
  • this is link to QHY driver page (look for driver and SDK also for this) https://www.qhyccd.com/download.html
  • ASI version of your camera have problem with bin>1 and ROI, they have fixed in ASCOM but not in SDK at today
  • I purchased few days ago at my cost a new ASI294MMPro for testing and help
  • Voyager for any of problems reported here or in public forum is at now not responsible, we use only SDK and their methods, but if you think there is some problem with Voyager and to Voyager inputable please use support channels and not this forum
  • finally thanks to QHY and ASI Engineers for their support to me and Voyager development

All the best and happy new year
Leonardo

2 Likes

Grazie molte Leonardo, è un sistema piuttosto articolato per quanti mi riguarda: ho sempre utilizzato i driver Ascom (sia per la QHY 163m che per la ruota portafiltri), vorrei capire la differenza o quali vantaggi ci sono nell’utilizzare gli uni piuttosto che gli altri. Grazie ancora Leo, felice anno nuovo e cieli sereni…

Thank you very much Leonardo, it is a rather complex system (for me): I have always used Ascom drivers (both for the QHY 163m and for the filter wheel), I would like to understand the difference or what advantages there are in using one rather than the other. Thanks again Leo, happy new year and clear skies …

Ciao Roberto,

la mia risposta è stata una risposta utile a tutti. Spesso si tende a colpevolizzare i software finali quando si ha a che fare con hardware appena rilasciati quindi ho voluto mettere in chiaro con questo thread alcuni aspetti per aiutare chi ha difficoltà. Molti usano la camera che stai aspettando senza problemi, qualcuno ha trovato dei limiti nel modo in cui la usa o per un uso particolare che ne fa o semplicemente per mancanza di basi quando si ha a che fare con il nostro hobby, hobby in cui ci si deve per forza destreggiare tra software ed installazioni.

In realtà nel 99% dei casi non c’è nulla di articolato da fare.

I driver ASCOM, e mi riferisco al loro uso in Voyager, non hanno la possibilità di gestire offset e gain se non prima della connessione e la gestione dei dati, il download ed il salvataggio non è ottimizzato. I driver diretti che usano l’SDK hanno queste possibilità invece attive e prestazioni migliori.

I dati che forniscono sono esattamente gli stessi sia gli ASCOM che i driver diretti.

Spero di averti risposto correttamente

===================

Hello Roberto,

my answer was a helpful answer to all. Often we tend to blame the final software when dealing with newly released hardware so I wanted to clarify some aspects with this thread to help those who have difficulties. Many use the camera you are waiting for without any problems, someone has found limits in the way they use it or for a particular use they make of it or simply for lack of bases when dealing with our hobby, hobby in which we you have to juggle software and installations.

The ASCOM drivers, and I am referring to their use in Voyager, do not have the ability to manage offset and gain if not before the connection and the data management, download and saving is not optimized. The direct drivers that use the SDK instead have these possibilities active and better performance.

The data they provide are exactly the same for both ASCOMs and direct drivers.

I hope I have answered you correctly

3 Likes

Grazie Leo, il tuo supporto di appassionato e sviluppatore software è senza uguali. Quando riceverò la mia seconda QHY (ho la 163m e sto per ricevere la 294pro), ti chiederò consulenza per l’installazione ed il funzionamento nei miei due PC dove è installato Voyager. Grazie ancora…

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks Leo, your support as an enthusiast and software developer is unmatched. When I receive my second QHY (I have the 163m and I am about to receive the 294pro), I will ask you for advice on installation and operation on my two PCs where Voyager is installed. Thanks again…

Using support is the best choice … we offer for this reason.

Thanks for all of your work on this, Leonardo.

Kind regards,

Glenn

3 Likes
1 Like
1 Like

Now Voyager have a new Camera Control dedicated to QHY Camera direct with Beta Driver (select in camera setup). SDK is in platform\QHY\BETA there’s now the latest driver beta from QHY (at time of release or daily build publication) and you can update if you want manually also. Previous Camera control remain and use the last stable version recommended like declared from QHY.

2 Likes