Questions about mosaics

I am considering doing a mosaic for one of my upcoming projects. Since I have never done one before, I have a few questions about how to do one with Voyager and the WebDashboard. I have watched the informative video that Leo did on the topic.

I made a virtual mosaic of a target in the WebDashboard and saved it to my RoboClip library. When making a new sequence for the target, I open RoboClip from within the sequence window and choose my target. The target gets imported and a single set of coordinates appears in the sequence window.

Is this sufficient for creation of a mosaic sequence, i.e., does Voyager internally handle the various panes for my target? Or do I need to re-import the target as separate panes into RoboClip and create a separate sequence for each pane?

What is the intended purpose of the “virtual FOV” in RoboClip? What are the pros/cons of saving a mosaic target with a “virtual FOV” versus saving it as separate panes? When would I want to do one versus the other?

Thanks for the guidance!

Glenn

I used the Exoplanet Research tool to do my Mosaic. Worked perfectly.

Hi Glenn and Bill,
in this moment the mosaic planning is complete on Virtual FoV but before the action you need to import single Tiles into RoboClip from “Tiles list” with clipboard. After it you will obtain single tiles listed on target list and you can select it for standard Sequence, Research and Survey or DragScript.
We are working on a specific Mosaic Sequence/Function that will simplify the shooting operation in a single click selection from RoboClip.
Hope you find useful the mosaic planning feature introduced in Virtual FoV.
Best
Francesco

2 Likes

Thank you, Francesco and Bill, that clears it up for me.

Bill, your use of the Research and Survey sequence seems perfectly suited to this task. I will try it.

Kind regards,

Glenn

1 Like

Hello Gleen,

i will introduce a new action/section for mosaic. Next daily build i will add an import from Virtual FOV Mosaic in Research and Survey.

All the best
Leo

2 Likes

Thanks, Leo. That will be a very helpful addition.

Glenn

Hello Leo, has this functionality implemented yet ? I can’t find it.

Thanks

Nicolas

Just released with more facilities for Mosaic … a great tools for mosaic shot automation is now a great weapon for you and all who are interest. Optimized calibration and guiding, optimized panels choose for minimize meridian cross and delay, loop from 1 to infinite with possibility to exit when all the panels are under a configurable altitude … on click retrieve data from VirtualFOV … usable under DragScript to manage more than 1 mosaic at night and more…

All the best
LO

2 Likes

This is wonderful. Thank you, Leo!

How have you been doing? Is the situation with COVID-19 settling down where you are?

Glenn

thanks to you … my town is not in settling down, generally Italy yes… we are little in delay.
I’m fine …

Leo

I wish someone would do a tutorial on the FOV, Roboclip, mosaic functions.
So many new things to learn!

Max

A great new feature, I made use of the new workflow last night to test out initial framing for a mosaic around Antares. I framed it in the Virtual FOV, pulled the panel data into Roboclip, imported it in the mosaic/research section and wrote a dragscript to image a single panel image until moonrise, then move over to the mosaic. Four subs each on 12 panels exactly where I expected them with the scope parked and camera warmed up when I got up in the morning, and emails telling me each step was successful.

Now I just need a solid 100 hours of imaging time to make an image I will be really happy with.

6 Likes

Congratulations Paul … wonderful.
Thanks for this great feedback.

All the best
Leo

This most recent release makes Voyager and the virtual FOV (In My opinion) the easiest mosaic planner I have used, and the most effective due to it accounting for the angle change issues near the pole. If I had not bought it already this would have sold it to me.

3 Likes

Thank you so much again Paul. Virtual FOV is a truly big step forward for who love mosaics. Francesco have done an incredible job.

A presence of a dedicated section to run mosaic in an optimized way and in totally automation is a big weapon instead to use a normal sequences chain.

All the best and Enjoy Voyager
Leonardo

2 Likes

Thank you very much Paul @Blue and Leo @Voyager for the kind words, I really appreciate it.
All the new features introduced are possible thanks to the Voyager architecture, my contribution can only add small ‘pieces’ to what is already great.

Best
Francesco

2 Likes