Resume after a suspend

Last night I launched my lrgb sequence, taking 60 subs in each slot. I then got clouds. On the resume it started from the beginning. This has been asked before and I believe I understand Leo’s answer. I should change the sequence to only do a few of each filter and set group by and repeat.

Just wondering what others are doing or is this pretty much the best way.

I do only a few in each slot and repeat, meanwhile waiting for Leo to implement that Sequence Memory thing :star_struck:

1 Like

In this message I wrote like Astrophotographer and not like Developer … so read in this spirit !

If possible separate L from RGB, good data is needed in L.

For RGB doesn’t do so many for slot or your will have not good color, better to have small slots and use repeat to cicling in the 3 color, best is to create a slot long exactly to have only one refocus. If you want to do color all in one slot before switch to next color you must understand that blu need to be done at higher altitude possible for target, you can get the red at lower and in the middle green. But if you cicle between you will have more homogenous data to process and solve resume “problem”

Some automation software have forced to change the paradigm to choose the exact number of shot to do for filter and this have decreased quality of data without you all have this clear (just look at average results of years ago to average of actual AP images) … I can understand you dont want to listen a 15 years old astrophotographers and for this reason I will do the memory sequence :slight_smile: This will solve all but only on the paper … truth is something different from theory

When you have a cloudy nights , its a cloudy nights … difficult is a good night for good data. But this is another story.

A little note of humor … If you want to make a target all in one night because otherwise you think you have lost the night, know that after 15 years you will laugh at it and you will understand that the objects to do are not so infinite and that the the only solution to have stimuli is to change the instrumentation and you will find yourself always remaking the same subjects.

Leonardo

4 Likes

Thank you!!! This is helpful and answers the OIII/Blue filter issue I have been thinking about. Thanks for helping with this

I used to be keen to see a sequence memory function, but I find that I do not really care any more.

I have found that at least at F6, I can not shoot enough subs in a single night to make an image that I am happy with so I shoot as many subs as I can get over at least two nights and keep the best 45 to 50 subs. I am shooting OSC at the moment so at least that simplifies things.

I have updated my sequences to resemble Leo’s ideas and I can see where that is better and I worry less about the number of subs. I’m at f6 as well so I need as much data as I can get LOL11

I used to fairly obsessively (With other software) look at each sub after a night and mark the bad ones as bad then have it catch up the next night to try to get it to count out the number I want for a smooth integration and shoot my magic number automatically.

Now I still check the subs from each night, but I just delete the bad ones and once i am done, have a look how many files are in the folder, if I want 50 and there are 60, I leave it at that and set Astro Pixel Processor up to integrate the best 50. If I want 50 and there are 45, I shoot another 15 and then move on to something else.

Unless you are having mechanical issues or something else resulting in a lot of bad subs, all the difference in concept to Voyager does is move the decision about how many to shoot on a target in a given night out of the software and in to your head. I get more sleep when I am not sitting up, obsessively looking at the subs and marking the bad ones as such.

2 Likes

Thinking different sometime is a good way to get things go better.
Happy you have tried this.

All the best
Leonardo

Same here. I am more looking into integration time rather than number of subs.

In my case I am looking at the number of subs rather than total integration time, but given fixed length subs it amounts to the same thing for me.

I picked out 50 subs minimum as that is what I found to be around where the law of diminishing returns takes effect (For my camera) in terms of averaging the read noise out to get a smooth background. 100 subs is smoother, but not nearly by enough to justify the investment of imaging time.

1 Like