Saving images to remote pc via Remote Desktop?

Perhaps this is the wrong forum to ask this on, but thought I’d give it a shot. I have a windows 10 pc at the observatory and run a 200 foot CAT7 cable to the house to a windows 10 laptop. I typically save the images on the pc at the observatory and eventually transfer them by copying and pasting to the laptop via Remote Desktop. Is there any way I can get Voyager to save the images to my laptop in my house via Remote Desktop instead of to my observatory pc so I won’t have to spend time copying and pasting?

Dennis

I do this all the time. Just set the path the to folder on the network computer. For me it adds a 15 seconds to each download. Small price to pay.

Max

Thanks for the response. Sounds simple, but what is the path? In other words, suppose I want to save the images to C:\astroimages\date\target on my laptop in the house. What is the path that I enter into Voyager on my pc at my telescope so that it saves those images to that file on my laptop? Sorry to be such a novice.

Dennis

Dennis,

Alternatively, you can let Voyager save files to your observatory PC and then have those files be automatically transferred to your laptop, either next day or at some other time interval.

I can’t tell you exactly how to do this because I transfer files to an iMac, not a Windows PC, but in any case, the process should involve going to the file sharing settings on your observatory PC and identifying the folder that Voyager saves files to, making that folder shareable (i.e. available on the network), and then going to your Windows laptop and pointing it to the shared folder on the network. Once that has been accomplished, you can either manually copy the files or have a utility copy the files over in a way that makes sense to you. Maybe Windows 10 has built-in automation that can accomplish this, I don’t know.

The method used by Max, above, seems like it would also work well but I have never done it. I guess you could do the reverse of what I described above: make the target folder shareable on your Windows laptop and then point your observatory computer to it over the network.

Good luck.

Glenn

Thanks, Glenn. I’ve heard about using a shared folder, but don’t really know much about it. I’ll have to do some more reading and see if that’s also a viable option. I appreciate the info.

Dennis

Check out Syncthing. I save images locally on the observatory machine, then Syncthing picks these up and copies them to machines inside my house. All automatic.

Wow! Didn’t know there was so much I didn’t know. Never heard of Syncthing. Thanks, lazjen, for the suggestion. I’ll have to check it out.

Dennis

You just have turn on file sharing. Then share a the fold on the house pc.
You should be able to see the the house computer folder under network places. Just select it like the local file.

File sync software with work too. The best tool work in the background in real time

If you have a Synology NAS then I can recommend Cloudstation. The advantage is that it’s asynchronous so won’t give issues if there are network problems. It will also automatically sync up folders on multiple pc’s including laptops when reconnecting after being at a remote site imaging.

Robert

If you have an Office365 account, then you can use your Onedrive directory - syncs in the background at its own pace, and you can then read your files from anywhere. But this is cloud-based, so upload/download times depend on the speed of your internet access.

The Onedrive folder path is quite easy to find on any W10 PC (usually in the form C:\Users\xxxxxxxxx\OneDrive).

Similarly, if you have a Qnap NAS it has a syncing tool (Qsync) which I use on my mount and processing PC. Images appear on my processing PC about 45 seconds after they are completed even over a wifi link.

If you can not do that, you could share a drive on your laptop and map that as a network drive on the obs PC. I would suggesting having Voyager save on a local drive and finding a sync tool to copy it to the laptop after Voyager writes it rather than having Voyager save direct to the laptop. A network issue would spoil your night saving it direct.

I second syncthing, it is very reliable and you can set it up as backup mode. For instance it can copy your images from your observatory PC to your home PC and then you can delete them on the Obs PC without deleting the copy on your home PC. Very convenient because you don’t need to be in the same network.

Another option is to install Linux services on windows and run rsync, it works nicely as long as you can reach your target computer.

Cheers,

Jose