SBIG Self-guiding FW + RCOS Rotator: How to Rotate Guiding Calibration Data?

Hi all, we are dealing with a setup with SBIG Self-guiding FilterWheel & RCOS rotator, and we have difficulty finding a robust way to automate the guiding process. Looking for some advices here.

Specifically, the guider chip on the self-guiding FW doesn’t have an ASCOM driver, and can’t be found/connected in PhD Guiding, but can connect via SkyX or Maxim DL 6; on the other hand, the RCOS rotator doesn’t have ASCOM driver as well; although it is connected with Voyager thanks to Leo’s native support, the rotator cannot be seen in SkyX or Maxim DL; therefore if we rotate the rotator, the guiding program (SkyX or MDL) won’t know and won’t correct for the rotation on the calibration results.

I can initialize a guiding calibration at each target after rotation, but I noticed that in order to achieve a good calibration results, I really need to manually draw a subframe to include only the interested stars in the calibration process in SkyX or MDL; otherwise the star detection method is not robust at all and it gives all crazy calibration results. Obviously this is against the idea of fully automation.

So questions to all:

• Anyone using such combination (SBIG self-guiding FW + RCOS rotator) with Voyager?
  • Is there a robust way to automate the guiding calibration process in SkyX or MDL?
  • Any alternatives?

Thanks!
Yizhou

Hi Yizhou,

i’m using Maxim DL for guiding and manage the AO. Work perfectly.
Just rememeber to calibrate guider camera with dark , in PM if you need a video in italian that show how to calibrate.

All the best
Leonardo