Sequence Meridian Flip question

How do I configure a sequence so that if the meridian is reached within the sequence action the current exposure will finish and then the flip will occur. I don’t want to wait for the sequence to finish, but rather finish the current image, do a meridian flip and then continue the sequence on the other side.

Craig

Manage the meridian in Sequence Configuration Editor, Tab “Meridian Flip”, select box “Meridian FLip Mode” select Manage.

Be sure to have setup correctly the meridian setup in Voyager, Section Setup, tab mount, groupbox “GEM Meridian Flip Manager” … using ASCOM normal or ASCOM inverted (depend on your driver mode) in “ASCOM Pier mode” selectbox if you use ASCOM or “From Scope position” for other mounts driver.

More info here:
https://voyager.tourstar.net/index.php?title=Mount_Setup#GEM_Meridian_Flip_Manager
https://voyager.tourstar.net/index.php?title=Sequence_Configuration#Meridian_Flip_Tab

If you need assistance we can do togheter from remote.

All the best
LO

Actually, the meridian flip did work but not the way I had expected.
The sequence was running when the telescope reached the meridian. A flashing blue light was visible in the status box. At this time, an image was being recorded and had 30 seconds remaining. What happened was at the end of the 30 seconds the next image started. What I wanted to happen was when the image finished for the meridian flip to occur. I had set a 10 minute delay to give time for the exposure to finish. Was that wrong?

So what I want: When the telescope reaches the meridian, the meridian flip waits until the current image has finished, then does a meridian flip. I thought if I unchecked the delay then when the telescope reached the meridian it would abort the current image and do the flip.

Craig

Light blue flashing mean meridian is running and your mount is slewing !!! I think you have some setting wrong … please send to support your setting about meridian like screenshot

I had set a 10 minute delay after meridian. When the telescope reached the meridian the blue light started flashing but the telescope continued to track normally past the meridian. I thought the flashing meant the Meridian had been reached but the action was not performed yet due to the delay of 10 minutes. I thought the meridian flip would then start after the exposure finished, but it didn’t. Instead it started the next exposure. I then figured the sequence would continue recording images until the 10 minute delay expired and would then slew. I aborted the sequence before this and then restarted the sequence. It then immediately did a meridian flip and the flashing blue light was now a solid blue.
So what I am looking for is how do I get the sequence to finish its exposure and then do a meridian flip.
Am I wrong in assuming that if the delay is set to 0 then when the telescope reaches the meridian it will abort the current exposure and then do an immediate pier flip?
Craig

Is there a setting where:

1. When the meridian is reached, the sequence will finish the current image and then do a pier flip
  2. If the meridian delay expires before the image is finished then the image is aborted and the pier flip is executed.

Or is this actually the normal behaviour and no configuration is necessary?

When telescope reach meridian startin a orange led, blue flash is a meridian running and mount slewing.
You have something wrong in setting, probably you have inverted the meridian mode. But i cant help without setting to see. Voyager have an interval across meridian where cant do goto …if a goto is needed the squence will be pause until the interval will be passed. you can define this interval with “Only exposure action before meridian crossing” for time before meridian and “Do Flip after Mount Passing Meridian by” for after meridian. if you put 10 minute in “Do FLip After Mount PAssing Meridian by” the mount try to start the goto for meridian change 10 minute after mount passing meridian, but only if there’s no shot running. If a shot is running the shot will be finished and after a goto for meridian change start. If you put in sequence the parameter to force meridian after 12 minute Voyager stop exposure if one running and 12 minutes passed from meridian and do goto for meridian change But this is a flag to choose in sequence configuration.

If you have led flashing blu and exposure running something really wrong is setting up and you can damage your mount/setup

Please send screen shot of your setting, verifiy that mount is aligned like time and site to your position and your PC and that you have setting up right the ASCOM meridian mode.

All the best
LO

Yes you are wrong because only mount know when do a flip … for this reason and for safety there’s an interval around meridian cross time.

All the best
LO

Okay, so if I set “Do FLip After Mount PAssing Meridian by” to 10 seconds, then 10 seconds after reaching the meridian, Voyager will wait until the current exposure is finished and then do a meridian flip … correct? If there is no exposure then Voyager will do a meridian flip after 10 seconds of reaching the meridian.

But what if the exposure never finishes, will the mount keep tracking past the meridian forever?

Craig

I found this “Force Meridian Flip procedure with exposure abort after meridian crossing”. So if I do this:

Do Flip after Mount Passing Meridian by = 10 seconds
Force Meridian Flip procedure with exposure abort after meridian crossing = 2 minutes

Since my exposures are 60 seconds then the first setting will wait for the current exposure to finish and then do a flip. The second setting will insure that if something happened with the exposure that a flip will happen after 2 minutes … a safety check.

Correct?

Craig

Correct partially Craig, but setting working in minute not seconds. I suggest to dont go under 5 minutes. But not correct what yuo think about exposure. after time erased if a exposure is running the exposure will be finished. If Voyager is doing something different than exposure meridian change start. In anycase when the actual exposure finished before continue with the next one a meridian change will be started before continue.

“Force Meridian Flip procedure with exposure abort after meridian crossing” must be a value equal or greater than the “Do FLip After Mount PAssing Meridian by”. If you do 60 second exposure this mean than max in 60 second you had a meridian flip for sure … not need to force exposure abort.

Looks like two good options, I will try both and see which one works best. I can test this with the simulator to make sure I understand.