Sombrero, Trifid and others

The next image I have been working on, I have decided that I have hit the point of diminishing returns. “The rolling waves of Vela”

This is still within the constellation of Vela, but not really in the area typically seen as being part of the Vela SNR. There are not really any objects of note to mention, no high profile stars, a number of tiny background galaxies, no planetary nebulae, the area is basically dominated by HA and Sii with no Oiii worth gathering.

53 X 300 second Sii, 79 X 300 second HA and a tiny number of RGB subs (5 each at 300 seconds) all captured with Voyager of course.

6 Likes

A bit of good fortune, the image above as Astrobin image of the day today. I was not really expecting that…

The rolling waves of Vela ( Blue ) - AstroBin

3 Likes

Congrats Paul !
Wonderful image well deserved pubblication.

All the best
Leonardo

No fortune at all, the image is fantastic. Congrats!

Amazing shot. Congrats on IOTD!

An image I shot on 28/06, the only clear night I have had in a month. I have been hoping to complete a fairly large scale mosaic in this area but with Australia firmly held in a La Nina weather pattern, the weather has been dire for imaging this winter.

Shot with Voyager of course, using my Stellarvue SVX80T-3SV with 0.8 focal reducer and an ASI2600MM Pro camera, and Astronomik LRGB filters, on the iOptron CEM70G mount.

70 X 120 Second Lum at 0 gain
35 X 120 Seconds each R, G, B, at 100 gain

Integrated in Astro Pixel Processor and post in Photoshop, including the new NoiseXTerminator noise reduction filter. An AI noise reduction filter that was designed for astro images and to my eye does a great job of noise reduction without creating the “False” detail that AI noise reduction filters designed for terrestrial images tend to produce. Overdoing the “Detail” slider will mess with star profiles so they look ugly and over sharpened but it still seems to be highly resistant to “inventing” detail.

6 Likes

An image I have been working on since December 2022, NGC2170, the “Angel” nebula. A very pretty target but a tough one to process due to a pretty extreme dynamic range.

Shot with a 10"F4 Newtonian with a Paracorr, ZWO ASI2600MC and MM cameras, and all capture managed using Voyager advanced.

This was 105 600 second RGB subs shot with my ASI2600MC Pro (Befoire I decided to add luminance and HA to it) and 35 600 second HA and 33 600 second luminance.

The RGB was split to individual R-G-B files in Astro Pixel Processor for an easier workflow to keep all the frames registered together in a single processing run (You can not debayer OSC and straight process Mono at the same time) The RGB image was recombined in APP and then layering of the LRGB and HA and final post processing was done in Photoshop.

I reprocessed this image more times than I care to count before I was happy with it, sometimes all the way back to basic integration in Astro Pixel Processor.

This one just made top pick on Astrobin overnight (My time) which I am pretty happy with. I think image of the day is not very likely as Astrobin has had at least two NGC2170 IOTD’s in the last month.

6 Likes

Wonderful Paul … a stunning result.

All the best
Leonardo

Thank you, this one took a lot of work to process in a way that I was happy with (And I still see lots of ways I could improve it if time was not an issue) but I am very happy with how it came out.

Using Advanced, the data capture was the easy part of this one by a very long way.

And a nice surprise for my Saturday, the NGC2170 image did make it to IOTD on Astrobin. I really did not expect that to happen when other images of the same target had been IOTD’s recently.

1 Like

It has been some time since I have added anything here. I have been very very busy, but I went out to a star party at a dark sky site recently, and we were lucky enough to have four clear nights. These are my first two images from Nhill. A shot of the Grus Quartet, and one of NGC300. I have other data to process but work means it will be a little while.

4 Likes