Someone of you use a QHY9 under Voyager?

Like in object … one of the Voyager user report a problem using this camera.
I have a couple of CMOS cameras from QHY and tested yesterday with last drivers work fine.

If yes … may i ask to gently keep in touch with me in private, i have some questions about.

All the best
LO

QHY 9 is an old CCD using KAF-8300 sensor. It’s not an CMOS sensor. I doubt the latest ASCOM driver for CMOS sensor will work with QHY 9 camera. The QHY 9 owner would need to contact QHY about this.

Peter

QHY9 web site:

https://www.qhyccd.com/index.php?m=content&c=index&a=show&catid=134&id=25

Drivers:
https://www.qhyccd.com/index.php?m=content&c=index&a=show&catid=134&id=25&cut=2

Peter

As far i know is only Fabio to use it

Ok Thanks Peter …
I’ll try to contact Fabio, thanks for help

Hi, I have a QHY9s with CFW2 filterwheel. Let me know if I can help…
cheers
Gary

thanks Gary … i wrote you a PM

Hi all,
at Leo’s request I have spent some time testing the QHY9s and can confirm an issue with the latest drivers:
tested latest QHY9 Drivers (ASCOM and SYSTEM) downloaded from QHY today.

Tested with:
Voyager
MaximDL 5.24
Astroart 7sp1

There is definitely some problem with the driver - not sure which, ASCOM or System, the behavior is identical for me on all 3 programs:

Connection to the camera occurs, but as soon as cooling is activated, the programs all become unresponsive and the only way to shut them down is to kill them with Task Manager.

I have no issues with my ASI071 MC Pro with any of he programs. I have not used my QHY 9 for over a year until now so was not aware of these issues before.

The Laptop I tested with is a 5 months old Lenovo Thinkpad running Windows 10 Pro. It only has USB 3 ports - I wonder if this could be the problem? I have another laptop that has Voyager on it but which has USB 2 ports. I will test this tomorrow and report back. I also have a set of old drivers I can compare with.

cheers
Gary

Thank you so much Gary … big help.
This save me to buy a used camera.

All the best
LO

Gary,

I have a qhy9 and was the person who told leo there was an issue.

I was able to get it to work, but there is a caveat on that. I have a little more testing to be sure, so I will include info later on this.

Btw, do you have an old driver for this camera that works?

Chris,
yes, I do have a set of very old drivers. They are supplied by the local distributor of QHY in Australia. He hasn’t updated he driver pack in years as he says these “just work”. I will test these ASAP (may take 48 hours due to other commitments), and also test on the older laptop that has usb2 as well. If they work I can send them to you…
cheers
Gary

2 Likes

Thats great Gary! I’m hopeful that an older version works and that its just the latest that is “broken” Thanks for testing.

Hi Chris,

I managed to get enough free time to test the old drivers. They work perfectly with everything I tried. Before installing them you must remove everything related to the QHY9 and CFW2 Filter wheel (if you have one). This means Windows IO drivers, as well as Ascom drivers. If not the newer drivers persist and the old ones don’t show.

I will send you a private message with a Dropbox link (please do not share this publicly)

Let me know how you go…

cheers
Gary

Thanks you so much Gary.
You have solved a big problem for me.

All the best
LO

Thank you Gary! I will install and test as soon as I get a chance. I appreciate the help!

I also contacted QHY over the weekend. Hopefully they will be able to issue a driver update to help people who download from their site.

I’ll report back once I test.

Thanks again,

Gary,

I installed and tested the new (OLD) drivers you sent me, and it appears to have fixed my problem. I have not done an imaging run yet, but all of the issues with the TEC and connect/disconnect that I was having have been resolved.

Thank you for your help,

Chris

No problems Chris. QHY often seems to have driver issues - they make excellent hardware, but sometimes flaky software! Good luck…
cheers
Gary

Gary,

Tonight I tried to take calibration frames (its been cloudy since this thread started) and I noticed that while this old driver works, there is severe banding in the frames. I suspect that at some point this was corrected by the driver. I was able to get the current driver to work sort of with SGP, and the dark frames have no banding.

So, I’ve reached out to QHY and asked them to send me all the versions of drivers as well as notify them that there is a current issue with latest release.

Bummer!

Hi Chris,

I’ll try to take some darks later today and see if I get the same issues. I do recall in the past that the camera didn’t like being connected via a hub or to a USB 3 port. How is yours connected? The banding issue is a known problem in some earlier versions of the driver and can also occur if you use the high speed readout option. Also can occur in the normal speed readout. It is due to the usb readout speed being faster than the on camera’s readout buffer. QHY will probably tell you to use the latest drivers which be both know don’t work!!!

I’ll see what I can find in other drivers as well. I have a friend who also has a QHY9 - I’ll check what version he is using. Please keep me up to date with what you find as I’m trying o decide whether to keep or replace this camera. Sick of QHY issues.

Gary

I was in Normal readout mode. I ended up getting the previous version from QHY, and that was a fail as well. Had the same problems as the current version.

Now trying to roll back to the old driver you gave me, but there is a lingering file somewhere that is preventing me from getting it to work. I just did a mass delete of QHY files from my system so hopefully I can get it to work again. Then I’ll try low speed.

Thanks for checking. I hear ya too. I’m ready to toss this camera out the window!