Using Variables for RA and DEC coordinates

Because my scope can’t track near the meridian (curse you tripod!!!), I have 3 script elements for my imaging object:

1. Sequence
  2. Wait Event
  3. Sequence

All three elements need the coordinates of my imaging object.

Is it possible to create variables for the RA and DEC coordinates and use them in the script elements? That’d be easier to maintain than always making sure that I change/update all three.

Thanks
Mark

1 Like

Hello Mark,

yes is possible … i can add but this need more time than your previous request.
I’m starting to apply coords variable to Sequence Block at beginning … you need in more block ?

Leo

1 Like

That would be excellent! It would go toward making scheduling more dynamic. Is this something that will be in the standard version of Voyager, or the advanced version?

Hi Leo,

First, thanks for being SO active on this forum. Very cool.

What I would like to have is:
Define 2 variables: RA and DEC that I can set to the coordinates of my object
I have:
1 Sequence element
1 Wait Altitude element
1 Sequence element

All of which require RA/DEC coordinates of the object. On those RA/DEC fields I would put the variable instead of a concrete coordinate.

Hope this makes sense.

… and, yes, this does sound more complicated than a simple waiting dialog.

Thanks
Mark

This sounds similar to my request to have an object variable in dragscript containing RA and DEC.

Is this what you’re implementing Leo ?

Best wishes
Robert

Hello Robert,

yes Robert i will create a new variable object with RA and DEC

All the best
Leo

HI Leonardo. I was writing a new feature request when I realized that the request was already raised from other users, so add just mine here.
BTW, are there news ?
This should give to voyager users the possibility to easly build generic dragscript, if it will be possible set the variables from some dedicated action like “update string from solved RA[or dec] coord” or from an external script that get them from a list of targets, for example.
My actual goal is to open the webdashboard, define a target in virtualFov, precise point to it and start a generic dragscript that platesolve actual coords and start a sequence with them, leveraging on all functionality of the “sequence” action (meridian flip, refocus on change filter, cooling, guiding and dithering settings…) without writing very complex dragscripts replacing all the same functionalities.
Regards
Fabrizio

Hi Fabrizio, when you have choosed FOV with VirtualFOV save it in Roboclip and use this, you do not need to plate solving.

For the request I will add for sure.

All the best
Leonardo

Thanks for the answer, Leonardo! My idea is to start a generic dragscript directly from webdashboard after you choose the FoV! I know about Roboclip, and what you suggest it’s exactly how I do it today. It’s that I’m looking for more immediate behavior, mainly when I was on the field. To be clear, I’m not discussing the use of Roboclip itself (great feature) , but rather the fact that you have to rewrite / adapt a Sequence and / or Dragscript, save the new file etc… just to fill in the actual coords, and sometimes I go wrong! The less I do, the less I fail. Probably it’s my fault, but I’m a messy guy, and my folders are getting pretty messed up with dozens of Sequences/drugscripts all alike just in changing coordinates :grinning:
Anyway, appreciate a lot you interest and support to all requests, and will wait for the feature implementation!
BR
Fabrizio

1 Like

Fabrizio,
This is a fantastic suggestion. I love this idea for when I want to just reuse the same script each night but just change the object, in my case an asteroid that changes position each night. Right now my script has three (or four?) spots where I have to update the RA and DEC each night. It is easy to get in a hurry and forget. The ability to change one variable would be excellent!

Thanks for considering it Leo!

Regards,

Russ

1 Like

Just thought I would ping this thread again.

As my scripts get more complicated, the need for having an option for replacing an object name or RA and DEC as a variable increases.

It would be fantastic if this could be added in such a way that it could be used in Pointing and Precise Pointing in the Object Name box as well.

Regards,

Russ

1 Like