Viking supported cards with digital input and relay control?

Hi,

I decided to automate my RoR and I am trying to figure out the capabilities of the supported IO cards. It looks like the DragonFly controller by Lunatico is what I need, however, I want to figure out if I can achieve my automation goal with a different less expensive IO card.

What I need is:

• 1 Relay to toggle the door opener button
  • 2 Digital inputs to read 2 magnetic switches (roof close position, roof open position)

Any feedback is welcome.

Regards,

José

Hello Josè,

this is the list of I/O Cards and Protocol managed actually by Viking:
https://voyager.tourstar.net/index.php?title=Viking#List_of_Supported_I.2FO_Cards_and_Automation_Protocols

From my internal statistics Denkovi is the more reliable.

All the best
Leonardo Orazi

Hello Josè,

I use a Velleman VM110N (K8055N) VM129 (K8056).
This is a USB interface card and a separate relay board. Both are available ready made and are a reasonable cost. The part numbers in brackets are the kit version that you have to build yourself.

I can confirm that this hardware works with both Voyager and Viking

Regards
Martin

Jose,
I have been using a Dragonfly for a couple of years. Are using some sort of Garage door opener? This is used as one of the example setups on the Dragonfly site. Momentary relay operation and Magnetic limit switch detection are possible, along with mount park position, power loss, scope fans, Flat panel power switching, SnapCap. Scripting. The main thing is it is very reliable and there is great support from Lunatico

Regards

Graham

Leo,
Most of the listed cards only support outputs, however the Denkovi support inputs and outputs, and the price is affordable.

Thanks!

José

Interestingly, I’ve found the K8056 for $14USD in Amazon. I bought 2. Now I need to find my soldering kit :slight_smile:

Cheers,

José

Hi Graham,

Indeed, the dragonfly solution is the closet to a turnkey solution, however since I will be driving it with Viking it looks like many features of the Dragonfly won’t be used.

Cheers,

José

Hello Josè,

Glad you found the units at a good price, if you have any issues Best I can I will try to help.

Best regards

Martin

Jose,

Dragonfly can do all your relay opening and closing. Detecting analogue and digital inputs as well as other units do.
But Dragonfly can also carry out Automatous operations. It has scripts built in that allow it to carry out preprogramed operations when a failure occurs. Look at it as a safety net that could save your equipment.

Regards

Graham

PS I also have a AAG/Solo combination :slightly_smiling_face:

With viking you have dragscript to do automation also if the card is really simple with not internal script. This is the reason why Viking exists

1 Like

Absolutely, the dragonfly is much more than a relay box and can work stand alone. It also provides ASCOM drivers and plays well with other capture suites. My point is that since the DragonFly will be driven by Viking/Voyager, all the extra functionality provided by the DragonFly won’t be used.

If I were not using Viking, I wouldn’t hesitate to get a DragonFly box.

Cheers,

José

I looked at the Dragonfly and found Jaime and Debora at lunatico astro really helpful. I just couldn’t justify the expense when all I needed were the relays. I used a Pi4 mounted on a relay board https://www.waveshare.com/rpi-relay-board-b.htm I then coded a website which would control the relays (on and off) as well as use a relay to turn a dome heater on when the temp approaces dew point. As calculated by Cloudwatcher, which I bought from lunatico.

1 Like

Thanks! I agree that Dragon fly is a nice solution but IMO overkill if Viking is used to drive it.

Cheers,

José