Webdashboard change framing perspective

Hi,

As it is the Webdashboard framing feature is excellent, I really love the brightness slider and the rest of the controls, however I have a request that could make it even more useful.

Could you add a feature to rotate the sky related to the camera FOV and not the other way around. Right now the sky is anchored and if you rotate the camera the FOV rotates, however many times I have to physically rotate my monitor to get a better understanding of the current framing.

It would be very useful if we can anchor the FOV and the Camera Angle adjuster rotates the sky instead of the Camera FOV. That will make framing easier and no more neck pains :slight_smile:

I hope I had explained myself clearly.

Cheers,

José

Personally I think that is a great suggestion. :smiley:

Fully agree as when you rotate your FOV you may end up with the long side of the camera on the vertical line which reduces the overall visibility. Also, I wasn’t sure if there is a way to zoom in or out.

I will ask to Aladin if its possible to change their engine in the direction you have asked.

All the best
Leonardo

In Aladin Lite it is not possible to rotate the image, that I’m aware of.
The feature has already been requested by other Voyager user, and sought a solution in the past, without success. The Canvas is also used as reference to get position center in the mosaics and other calculation over the background image.
In the official documentation there is no such possibility, I have already tried to work externally but this generate errors in the coordinates and drag 'n drop movements.
Best
Francesco

Thanks Francesco, understood. It is a shame that Aladin doesn’t allow rotation. I hope that later versions of Aladin support this kind of features, however I am not sure how dynamic is Aladin development.

Cheers,

José

Jose rotation of a cached big tiles or in async download of the sky is not something really simple to do.
This is an explanation that we need to take in account.

All the best
Leonardo

Hi Jose,
Aladin Lite is a great, powerful and free web sky simulation tool, without it Virtual FOV would not exists. Therefore my gratitude goes to all the development team. If in the future there will be updates in this sense we will implement them, for now let’s enjoy what we have.
Thank you for the suggestions.
Best regards
Francesco

Absolutely, Aladin as it is, is fantastic, same goes for Voyager Webdashboard, as it is it accommodates all my needs. When I created the request I thought it was something as simple as enable a flag and a couple of tweaks to the UI, but now it is clear that this request is far from a simple change.

Thanks for the explanation.

Cheers,

José

1 Like

A great suggestion. I would also like to be able to zoom in and out to find other targets nearby and then be able to move the fov to that point