Question about DO IF ALTITUDE BETWEEN

I am trying to image two targets with specific start and end altitudes, due to the topography of my back yard.

I would like Sequence 1 to start at 30 degrees in the east and stop at 60 degrees in the west.

Next, I would like to start Sequence 2 immediately and stop at 45 degrees in the west.

Can this be done with the DO IF ALTITUDE BETWEEN action in a DragScript?

do%20if%20alt%20betw

My concern is that Sequence 1 would only run from 30 degrees to 60 degrees altitude on the east side of the meridian instead of crossing the meridian and stopping at 60 degrees on the west side, as I intend.

Other threads have discussed similar things, but I am not aware of a resolution. Has anyone else figured out how to address this situation?

Kind regards,

Glenn

Hello Glenn,

• DO IF ALTITUDE check for a single value greater or lower
  • DO ID ALTITUDE BETWEEN check if altitude are in a interval

No one of this block check the side of meridan.
If you know transit you can put DO IF TIME block and inside a DO IF ALTITUDE BETWEEN
This solve your problem.

If you serach for DO IF HOURANGLE blocks that are not yet developed in Voyager.

All the best
LO

1 Like

Thank you, Leo. :slightly_smiling_face:

Kind regards,

Glenn

Hi Leo,
A couple of months ago I requested a similar request. Maybe the best way to do this is use the DO if altitude between and have a checkbox to indicate both for the start and end altitude which side of the pier. For example:
Do if altitude between 30 East and 60 West, or
Do if altitude between 60 West and 30 West, or
Do if altitude between 30 East and 60 East

For my observing program I want the range to be something like:
Do if altitude between 45 East and 45 West
This would provide a declination arc starting in the east and finishing in the west which would include a pier flip.

Craig

Thanks Craig … i’l do this change.

All the best
Leo

1 Like

Craig, your idea is exactly what I had in mind. Thank you for posting.

Leo, thanks for agreeing to implement this feature. I would find it very useful.

Cheers,

Glenn

Leo,
Another thought. The problem with DO IF ALTITUDE BETWEEN is not knowing which side of the pier the altitude value is. But, if we add this instead DO IF HOURANGLE BETWEEN then it would work because hour angle can be positive or negative depending on the side of the pier. It may be easier to implement HOURANGLE than ALTITUDE. No need to have boxes for East and West for hour angle.

For example:
DO IF ALTITUDE BETWEEN 30 EAST and 60 WEST, or
DO IF HOURANGLE BETWEEN -3 and +2

Craig

That’s the only option that’s usable for my Sky since I have a line of trees in the garden next door running NW to SE.

Robert

Which option Robert, Altitude or HourAngle?

Craig

I am not familiar with hour angle. How is it measured?

Glenn

Hour Angle (HA) = Local Sidereal Time (LST) - Right Ascension (RA)

So HA of telescope = LST - RA telescope,

HA of a star = LST - RA star

Craig

1 Like

HA is Flip-T in Voyager Information Box … TIme to Meridian Flip.
I’ll do the HA and ALTITUDE blocks i found it useful for all

All the best
LO

Craig it’s Hour angle or more precisely plus and minus hours from the meridian. I can mess around with altitude but every target is different. Setting a minimum altitude together with hour angle covers all my requirements from home.

Hope that makes sense.

Robert

I am really glad this change is being considered as I also like to have a general way to start and stop a loop of images based on altitude above horizon in the East or West.

I find the way this is done in CCDCOmmander could be applied here. In that program there is an option to do this by object. So in the configuration box you could search for say M15 and it would fill in the RA and DEC automatically. That would be especially helpful.

For the problem with East or West. There is a radio button where you can select “Object Rising East” or “Object Setting West”.

Having those two options would make this script command easier to use without writing two loops as one could select a block to start as an object is rising the East and then jump out when the object sets int the West.

Thank you for considering this.

Russ

1 Like
1 Like

This is wonderful! Thanks so much for the addition, Leo.

I have tight altitude constraints in my back yard and this feature will make multiple-night imaging sessions much easier for me.

Kind regards,

Glenn

1 Like

It’s the same where I am due the LP dome means I can’t image very low in any direction. Together with the RA angle I can now specify the whole of my imageable sky area at home.

Many thanks
Robert

1 Like